Cisco RAS check two different RADIUS servers

Hi all,

I am using a Cisco 2600 router as a RAS for remote users to connect the network through dial-up modem. I have two RADIUS servers with two different users database. Is it possible to configure the router so that it will check the 1st RADIUS server first and if the user is not in this RADIUS server, it will check the 2nd RADIUS server? Please note that both of the RADIUS servers are UP and running. Thanks.

Regards, Dovelet

Reply to
Dovelet
Loading thread data ...

try something like :

aaa group server radius RADIUS_SERVERS server x.x.x.x ! 1st RADIUS server server y.y.y.y ! 2nd RADIUS server exit

aaa authentication login default group RADIUS_SERVERS

Reply to
Merv

this wouldn't work for the purposes of the original poster because the

2nd server will only be contacted from the NAS in the case that the 1st server did not answer - neither ACCEPT nor REJECT (it is a fallback for serverburnings and something like that ;). as long as the NAS receive ACCEPTs or REJECTs from an particular RADIUS server, it will not change to an other one. the desired "server hopping" has to be done outside from the NAS.

--gerald

Reply to
Gerald Krause

Hi,

What is "server hopping"? Do you mean I need an external server to do so?

Regards, Dovelet

Reply to
Dovelet

correct, something like this:

. -----> RADIUS1 . / . NAS --> PROXY . \\ . -----> RADIUS2

or

. NAS --> RADIUS1/PROXY --> RADIUS2

if your favourite RADIUS server has the feature you are looking for already integrated.

--gerald

Reply to
Gerald Krause

A Router will look at the second radius server only if the first is not responding. If the first responds with a Access reject then the request would not go to the second radius server.

You will have to configure your primary radius server to forward the request.

Reply to
Vivek

There is a way to have the user choose which RADUIS server to authenticate with via the command 'tacacs-server directed-request' on the RAS but you need to specify the RADIUS server you would like to authenticate within the username field. For example user@raduisIP and the router will strip the @radiusIP and send just the username to the appropriate radius server. Probably not going to help but figured I'd thow it out there just in case it could be an option for you.

Reply to
lobnetworks

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.