RAS on serial with cell phone (Nokia)

Hello,

I've got RAS on modem US Robotics attached to serial port on Cisco 1700. The config is:

! username ppp password 0 ppp ! modemcap entry usrcourier:MSC=&f1s0=1 ! ! interface Loopback0 ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.255 ! interface FastEthernet0/0 ip address 172.16.210.210 255.255.0.0 speed auto ! interface Serial0/0 physical-layer async no ip address encapsulation ppp ip tcp header-compression dialer in-band dialer rotary-group 1 dialer-group 1 async mode dedicated ! interface Dialer1 ip unnumbered Loopback0 encapsulation ppp ip tcp header-compression dialer in-band dialer-group 1 peer default ip address pool Dial-in ppp authentication pap ! ip local pool Dial-in 192.168.0.2 ! line con 0 line 1 login local modem InOut modem autoconfigure type usrcourier transport input all autoselect during-login autoselect ppp stopbits 1 speed 115200 flowcontrol hardware line aux 0 line vty 0 4 password cisco login !

Everything worked fine, but I've had to replace modem US Robotics with cell phone: Nokia 6210. And with Nokia it does not work.

#sh line 1 [...] Modem hardware state: CTS noDSR DTR RTS [...]

So router know that something is on the line. But I can't establish reverse telnet (on modem USR I could establish reverse telnet).

Can anyone write me what I should do? I've also looked for a documentations on cisco.com about coonnecting a cell phone to router for RAS, but I couldn't find.

Fairy

Reply to
Fairy
Loading thread data ...

Hello Fairy,

somewhere on your phone there must be an option for analog or ISDN emulation, can you try to find that option and check if it is set to analog ? According to the Nokia website:

'For using your phone as a modem, you first need to install it as a modem. Detailed installation instructions and the required system files can be found on the CD-ROM supplied with the phone or on the Nokia website

formatting link
'

Can you check your CD-ROM, if you have one ?

Regards,

Naz

Reply to
nazgulero

I went on

formatting link
it says that: "With Modem Setup installed on your compatible PC, you can use your Nokia 6210 phone as a modem for PC access to the Internet. You can also configure your phone's data capabilities and transfer speed."

So, it's only for settings on PC, not for a router.

I've heard that in my company in the past the RAS was on a Linux, and firstly there was US Robotics, but then the've changed the USR on THAT nokia without changing anything in it, and it was working. (Ofcourse - linux is not a cisco router ...)

The strangest thing is that I can't even do a reverse telnet though the router sees that something is on the line(!)

Fairy

Reply to
Fairy

OK, I do not understand what you are trying to do.

You can't establish reverse telnet in async mode dedictated.

And what is dialing in to the cell phone? ISDN? Does the telco support ISDN PPP calls to cell phones? Usually the calls are subrated to the lower GSM speeds using V.110, so your ISDN terminal adapter will not be able to make a 64k call. If the ISDN call is negotiated as V.110, this connection will only work if the call to the GSM phone forms a transparent async bit pipe.

Unfortunately, there are at least 3 async-over ISDN standards: V.110, V.120 and Async-to-Syn PPP conversion. Not to mention raw V.34/V.90 analog modem signalling on a voice channel over ISDN (one of the tricks that made the "V.Everything" modem from USR famous).

So, depending on what you have calling *IN* to the cell phone, there are lots of possbilities. A full diagram with more details is in order.

At any rate: A cell phone is **NOT** a modem, it is only a terminal adapter. If you hope to make a V.34 or V.90 call from a land line modem through a cell phone, you are heading the wrong way. There is no way to do that.

Need to know more about the modem you are replacing (is it really a modem , or a terminal adapter?) and what you are using to call in to the Cisco.

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.