qwest optical ethernet

Anyone have experience with this?

im about to connect a few locations to a host location. The technology uses layer2 packet switching. I have 2811 routers so i should be all set but im in search of some configuration examples.

The current WAN is point to point t1 lines and those will be replaced with this technology. Im curious on how the host site hosts multiple interfaces in the router? Is it just a sub interface on the fe port on the wan spoke?

the current encap is ppp. Will this have to change for this technology?

Currently we are running 192.168. on the lan side of each remote with

172.16. on the hub and spoke.

Im not real familiar with how the technology works but i assume i have to run some sort of sub interface on the hub router to accomdate all the locations / lines comming in as the hand off is a singe ethernet line.

Reply to
scale
Loading thread data ...

Yes.

Why are you going to put routers in? Just to reuse them? Or do you want to reduce your broadcast domain to either side?

Qwest will hand you off layer-2 ethernet on ether side. Plug it in, you have a direct ethernet between the two sites.

There's no point in doing PPP over ethernet. Its just a direct connection.

Its really up to you if you want to specificly route to hide the two sites behind the routers, or just flatten out your network. Configuration-wise if you route it'll be simple.

int Fast 0/0 ip addr ... int Fast 0/1 ip addr ...

ip route 192.168.168.0 255.255.255.0 to other router's IP address.

The technology is basic ethernet. Its very straightforward. In many ways much simpler than T1.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks for the response Doug!

The idea is to have each remote network on their own subnet.

WE are adding in a 3rd card into each router for futue addtional VOIP.

IM not 100% sure how VOIP with play into this in the future but that is where we stand. Id like to keep the subnets that we have in place now for future use...thus the routers.

So that being said.....does there need to be any encapsulation?

How about the interface on the main router at the hub. It will be accepting traffic from all the spokes through one interface....would i subinterface that out fe0/0.1....fe0/0.2 etc etc

Right now with the t1 lines in place it is easy.....you have the exact number of t1 lines comming in as you have interfaces in your router :)

Reply to
scale

plug the WAN into a L3 switch so you have something isolating the subnets at each end.

or just use 1 at the hub site.

it will make diagnostics easier the 1st time things go wrong.

L3 switches are much faster than routers for routing between ethernets at the same price point.

it could be VLANs, or sepearate interfaces - but you need to know which is which before you can connect it all up.

this sounds like classic telco "we cant be bothered to give you a diagram".

insist on docs before you allow the install to start so you can get your networks ready.

Reply to
stephen

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is like pulling teeth with the telco on the facts about the technology. It is geting frustrating.

Anyway

Are you saying i should be able to throw my 2811 routers at each site and then at the hub were that line comes in .....throw in a L3 switch and terminate in that? That sounds about right :) I was wondering on doing this. Would the L3 switch then need to be VLAN'd up on each port comming in (say there are 5...would i need 5 VLANs running as the "spokes" to terminate in the switch like this?

As far as the remote routers are concerned will any VLAN setup need to be done in those routers? I dont believe the routers care. The subnets are already in place. WE are trying to make a cut from existing T1 lines into this new Optical Ethernet.....which should make life easier (and faster) but we want to keep the subnets (and the router hardware at each site).

im getting closer :) Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
scale

yes - unless they need you to do something complicated, like shape the outbound traffic to limit to some data rate - this usually only matters if you need QoS (ie your VoIP traffic, between sites) and the telco ignores the packet priority markings.

I was wondering on

depends on what you are getting. If the service is presented as say VLANs on a 100M Ethernet then yes.

it depends on what the incoming line is set up for.

for a single tunnel they may give you "just Ethernet", but if it is given to you on a higher speed interface ready to also support other services it may be VLAN tagged. documentation would be good.......

Yes they do - if the WAN uses VLAN tags then anything connected will need a matching config.

The subnets

you can always keep the routers (say as voice gateways) - the issue is whether you use them to drive the new WAN link :)

Reply to
stephen

hehe..again thanks for the feed back. Sounds like i need to talk to the telco!

I know we want the routers to support QOS for voip. Ill give the telco a ring and see what weve got here. IT was one of those things that they installed and it fell in my lap with little to no details about any of it so im trying to work backwards before moving forwards :)

Thanks again for your help.

Reply to
scale

I think the original response was use the L3 switch instead of the routers. I don't think you need both. Qwest MOE is straight up ethernet. No VLAN trunking or tagging unless you ordered the EVCs special. If you took their default EVC, you won't be doing VLANs at all on there.

Without specificly asking for special EVC setup, with Qwest MOE, you'll be getting straight up ethernet, no VLAN tagging.

Qwest won't be doing any VLAN tagging (unless you get a service-provider port EVC).

The previous poster was giving you general advice about what could happen. Most likely, unless specificly ordered otherwise, with the Qwest MOE solution, you'll get straight up ethernet.

Plug it in, cut your existing IPs onto your 2nd ethernet interface, you are done.

Sure, find out the EVCs are on both ends. If Qwest says non-TLS to non-TLS EVC, you'll be all set with no concerns about how to configure the router. You won't be doing any VLANs or tagging across the MOE, just basic IP transport the same as you'd use on your LAN.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.