More than two Ethernet interfaces on a 28xx router?

Hi,

I am currently using a 2611 where one FE is connected to my local LAN and the other is configured as dot1q trunk with approx 15 subinterfaces. This works like a charm, the traffic towards each remote site is mostly M&C, i.e. not bandwidth intensive. No routing between remote networks, the only traffic is between my local LAN and the respective remote networks.

Now I need to perform the same trick towards another set of remote networks. I need another ethernet interface on my router, running dot1q and with somewhere between 15 and 30 subinterfaces. I'd like to purchase a new Cisco router for this task, but I don't know how far up the ladder I need to climb to get a router with more than two Ethernet interfaces. From this page

formatting link
doesn't look like the 28xx series support LAN network modules at all, as opposed to the 38xx series
formatting link
Unfortunately, I don't have an NM-1/2FE available for testing in my 2611. I know from earlier that it didn't recognize an older Ethernet WIC that I installed into one of the WIC slots.

Related to this: Is it possible to use a 3550 like this (router-on-a-stick)? On my 2611, I create as many sub-interfaces as I have VLANs to route, and on each subinterface I configure the following:

int fa0/1.501 encap dot1q 501 ip address

Reply to
Jonas Hamre
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
it doesn't look like the 28xx series support LAN network modules at all,

Reply to
RC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.