Question on access point modes

I'm researching a little into wireless troubleshooting and I'm starting to get a little confused about the differences between several modes available on Cisco access points. The ones I'm looking at are:

- monitor mode

- sniffer mode

- scanner mode

I take it some allow client connections and some do not. And some look at all channels and some do not. Is sniffer mode and scanner mode the same thing?

Also... some Cisco pages say that sniffer mode can only be used with Airopeek. But a Cisco Press book I'm reading says it operates with an Omnipeak, Airmagnet, or Wireshark server. Which is correct? Is there a Wireshark server?

Thanks!

Reply to
pfisterfarm
Loading thread data ...

Book name? Page number?

Reply to
alexd

It was CCNA Wireless Official Exam Certification Guide, chapter 11, p.

Reply to
pfisterfarm

~ I'm researching a little into wireless troubleshooting and I'm ~ starting to get a little confused about the differences between ~ several modes available on Cisco access points.

The available set of roles for an AP is different depending on whether you are talking about autonomous IOS (aIOS) or Cisco Unified Wireless Network (CUWN.) Here I will assume the latter.

~ The ones I'm looking ~ at are: ~ ~ - monitor mode

A monitor mode AP never services clients, but only listens to the

802.11 bands, scanning through channels, for the benefit of services such as location, rogue detection, and wireless IDS.

~ - sniffer mode

A sniffer mode AP never services clients, but is locked onto a single channel, and captures 802.11 frames and forwards them in UDP to a packet capturer.

~ - scanner mode

A "scanner mode" AP is basically the aIOS version of a "monitor mode" AP. Its functionality as CUWN is the strategic architecture for large scale WLANs.

~ I take it some allow client connections and some do not.

None of the above allows "scanner mode".

~ And some look ~ at all channels and some do not. Is sniffer mode and scanner mode the ~ same thing?

No.

~ Also... some Cisco pages say that sniffer mode can only be used with ~ Airopeek. But a Cisco Press book I'm reading says it operates with an ~ Omnipeak, Airmagnet, or Wireshark server. Which is correct? Is there a ~ Wireshark server?

Sniffer mode works well with Omnipeek (which is Wildpackets' replacement for Airopeek.) It can sort of work with Wireshark, but we have open bugs (e.g. CSCsj62507) that keep this from being too useful for now.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Selective retransmission with missing octets included inline below ...

~ ~ I'm researching a little into wireless troubleshooting and I'm ~ ~ starting to get a little confused about the differences between ~ ~ several modes available on Cisco access points. ~ ~ The available set of roles for an AP is different depending on whether ~ you are talking about autonomous IOS (aIOS) or Cisco Unified Wireless ~ Network (CUWN.) Here I will assume the latter. ~ ~ ~ The ones I'm looking ~ ~ at are: ~ ~ ~ ~ - monitor mode ~ ~ A monitor mode AP never services clients, but only listens to the ~ 802.11 bands, scanning through channels, for the benefit of services ~ such as location, rogue detection, and wireless IDS. ~ ~ ~ - sniffer mode ~ ~ A sniffer mode AP never services clients, but is locked onto a single ~ channel, and captures 802.11 frames and forwards them in UDP to a ~ packet capturer. ~ ~ ~ - scanner mode ~ ~ A "scanner mode" AP is basically the aIOS version of a "monitor mode" AP. ~ Its functionality as CUWN is the strategic architecture for large scale ~ WLANs.

Its functionality /is frozen/ as CUWN is the strategic ...

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.