Pushing out Software Updates

We use Cisco VPN and I was wondering if I could use this to push out updates to certain groups or users. I saw where you can update client software but is that the VPN Client software??? I am using this in a County Government and we have rural Fire Departments that connect to us using VPN. I administer their reporting software and we receive .exe's for hotfixes etc every now and then. I was wanting to push those out through VPN when they login if that's possible. I also saw the FTP and TFTP feature but that's doesn't really help. Anything will help.

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
Chris Stanley
Loading thread data ...

In article , Chris Stanley wrote: :We use Cisco VPN and I was wondering if I could use this to push out :updates to certain groups or users. I saw where you can update client :software but is that the VPN Client software???

Yes.

:I am using this in a :County Government and we have rural Fire Departments that connect to us :using VPN. I administer their reporting software and we receive .exe's :for hotfixes etc every now and then. I was wanting to push those out :through VPN when they login if that's possible.

The feature is not made for that.

".exe" and "hotfixes" implies Windows software, probably with them connecting to a Windows server. I seem to recall that with Windows Server there is a way to set a command to be executed at login time. That command could probably initiate the necessary transfers.

[We are able to do this sort of thing with Novell, which makes it clear that the login script will be executed from the user's machine, not from the server. We would do things like check for the existance of a key file and copy in the update and initiate it if the key file didn't exist.]
Reply to
Walter Roberson

Chris> We use Cisco VPN and I was wondering if I could use this to Chris> push out updates to certain groups or users. I saw where Chris> you can update client software but is that the VPN Client Chris> software???

IIRC, this is only for pushing software updates to the VPN3002 hardware client. I don't believe it can push PC software.

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

This is not a Cisco question (since the cisco software can't help).

Look in some of the microsoft.public newsgroups. Maybe search Google Groups for [microsoft.public unattended software install] ["microsoft.public" unattended software install] without the brackets :)

Look at login scripts (if you actually do a network login). I suspect but do not know for sure that our VPN users log in locally to the PC and then just mount drives. I do not believe that this invokes the network login script.

Also:- Microsoft Remote Installation Services (RIS) ships as part of Windows

2000 Server. Microsoft SUS Microsoft Software Update Services

There is also microsoft SMS, I think that it is big bucks and may be obsolete anyway.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.