router vs firewall?

I just got an upgrade for my cable broadband with a static IP address from Comcast. Belatedly I found out that they turn the firewall of their router off once your got a static. I do have a ZoneAlarm which seems to be doing a good job but people in the know do recommend a hardware firewall installed too. I called Comcast and they recommended not to assign the static IP address to the computer but instead to a router which will be put in between the modem and the machine. I have had such configurations before. A few months ago I got rid of three Linksys and Dlink routers I accumulated over the years since I thought that I would never need them again once I got a professional broadband with modem/router built in. Now I am facing a few choices.

I can buy another Linksys router but in the past I came to mistrust them badly.

I can buy a brand new Cisco, perhaps 3800 series but they are quite expensive and offer much more than I need in terms of LAN capabilities.

I do have two workstations with Win2K at two different locations with two computers at each one. I am using DELL Gigabit switches for the LANs. I have some peripherals and I am planning to set up VPN and I need a full capability VoIP solution. I want a remote management too. I do use Vonage telephones (VoIP) at both locations.

I can purchase an old Cisco at eBay, perhaps 2600 series but they are outdated, frequently lack documentation and do not offer modern capabilities.

I feel that I should not spend more than $600-800.

I am thinking of purchasing a Cisco firewall as a stand alone product. They run in a few hundred dollars. One option is a Cisco PIX 506E Firewall used. Any other suggestions?

My question is: will a Cisco firewall work with a non-Cisco modem (Comcast)? What will be disadvantages of using it?

Thanks.

Reply to
ALEXB
Loading thread data ...

Extreme overkill.

What makes you say that?. The 2600 series (provided they have enough ram and flash) can run the latest IOSes.

Also, all docs for all models of routers and all releases of IOS going back 20 years is available for free on

formatting link

Of course.

Compared to what?

Depending on what you want to do with it, setting up your firewall could be as easy as plugging it in and letting the default rules work, or spending hours configuring VPNs and ACLs.

Reply to
Francois Labreque

What does it mean that the product has reached the end of life status? Does it mean that if I want to get a new license I won't be able to do it?

Thanks. It is very helpful

I really like that. It is very cute.

Reply to
ALEXB

In article , Francois Labreque wrote: :Also, all docs for all models of routers and all releases of IOS going :back 20 years is available for free on

formatting link

I don't seem to find any documentation on anything before IOS 11.0 . We were trying to figure out awhile back when exactly it was that the software started being called "IOS", but we couldn't find the older documentation to check.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

2600s came out in 11.x or so, so no problem there.

the 2600xm version are still being made by Cisco, but some early boxes such as 2610 / 2611 have limited memroy capacity to support recent IOS loads.

Reply to
stephen

3800 can run a couple 100 Mbps links at 100% load, so is probably a bit over the top.
2600XMs are still being made.

docs are online and free (as pointed out by someone else)

have a look at some of the 180x / 181x routers - they start around $1000 list.

formatting link
Miercom did a test of the 1812 and show 50 Mbps throughput in a similar situation to yours
formatting link

Reply to
stephen

Knowing the file structure on CCO, I was able to dig this:

formatting link
Where it seems to be called "IOS" at the 10.0 mark, but according to this old security advisory it was called IOS as far back as 9.1.

formatting link
So I was off by a few years... :(

Reply to
Francois Labreque

In article , Francois Labreque wrote: :Where it seems to be called "IOS" at the 10.0 mark, but according to :this old security advisory it was called IOS as far back as 9.1.

Looks like the name "IOS" may go back at least as far as 8.3:

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.