project to configure Cisco Catalyst 6509

Hello Gurus,

I am a networking newbie. I would be working on a project with a few people to configure a Catalyst 6509 as a network backbone for a compnay. So far I have found out that it runs IOS version 12.2(17r)S2. Has a supervisor engine 720 module.

6724 SFP 24 port gigabit eth SFP module 6748 GE TX 48 port module 6704 -10 GE module

I was reading the software documentation which enlists all the commands.I will definately use that as a reference. But I need some basic information which is common while setting up a network backbone to get me started.I would really appreciate if you guys could get me started on this.

I hope you could guide me with this query.

Cheers, Ankit Parikh

Reply to
apsolar
Loading thread data ...

This is supervisor firmware version, not the IOS. Type Show ver and put the results here.

Tell which port you connect to other switches and do you put host directly to backbone? Trunk? VTP Server? Routing? What IP address? VLANs?

Reply to
Make

IOS version selection - use a safe harbour release

Physical design considerations like slot assignments ( i.e card placement) - consider fiber cablerouting and copper cable routing. fiber is very dleicate so you need to protect it as much as possible.

Logical design considerations - IP routing, VLAN numbering, Trunking, Vlan pruning on trunks, Spanning Tree

suggestions: run switch in transparent mode and avoid VTP confiugre trunks in non-negotiable mode and avoid use of DTP use UDLD to detect uni-directional links use routed links whereever possible use NTP to ensure all switches have synced and accurate time

sample trunk config from working SUP720:

interface GigabitEthernet1/1 description trunk to xxxxx no ip address logging event link-status load-interval 30 switchport switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk allowed vlan switchport mode trunk switchport nonegotiate no shut

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.