problem with connection from inside to DMZ via global IP

hello

i have pix 525 and configured www server on DMZ 172.16.1.73. for that server i have static command and from outside i view www site from that server.

name 172.16.1.73 dmzet static (dmz,outside) 212.xxx.xxx.xxx dmzet netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0

problem occurs when i want to connect from inside host to that www server in DMZ by global IP 212.xxx.xxx.xxx 'site was not find' but if i use DMZ IP 172.16.1.73 i see that site.

the computer which i connecting from (inside) have also static command static (inside,outside) 212.xxx.xxx.yyy 192.168.1.60 netmask

255.255.255.255 0 0

there is nat: nat (inside) 1 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 0 0 global (dmz) 1 172.16.1.200-172.16.1.254 netmask 255.255.255.0 global (dmz) 1 interface

i can not find the reason why i do not see WWW when i use global IP

Reply to
voytas
Loading thread data ...

I think I'm right by stating that because the outside IP is related to the outside interface and because PIX only allows traffic that passes through both interfaces it will not work. Try using a DNS statement on the PIX that matches the external IP address, the PIX will then re- route traffic so that it reaches the DMZ server.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

DNS? what for? I use IP not name when i want to connet to dmz web server. i do not uderstand your solution, could you bring some details?

Wojtek

Reply to
voytas

Hi,

I don't know the exact command. But instead of using an IP, setup a DNS name for the DMZ server on the PIX, when you use a browser the DNS on the pix will resolve the external DNS name to the internal IP. That's all you can do. Using IP I think is not an option. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

i do not think it is right solution. i can put name and DMZ IP to local DNS but it will not resolve my problem with global IP. thanks for your help - it is better than nothing.

i can add that if i have proxy in brownser i see site from web serwer in DMZ via global IP - but it is nothing unusual

Reply to
voytas

yes, dave is right, you can not access the outside interface like that.

M
Reply to
mak

You need to run what is often called split DNS.

In a nutshell, your DNS server returns a different answer depending on where the request is coming from; i.e. requests from an internal network address get an reply with an internal IP address, external requests get an reply with an external address.

Reply to
Rod Dorman

OK.i see your point. thanks Dave, Rod. Split DNS is an option. i faoud some articles on web an i am reading right now.

thanks

Reply to
voytas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.