port monitoring

Does port monitoring cause a performance hit on a switch, especially if several (or all) of the ports on the switch are monitored by one port? We have no user complaints but do not fully understand what the port monitor command does to the performance of a switch. We have Cisco

3548's. If performance is affected are there any commands that can show us what is going on. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
Reply to
stopnowgo
Loading thread data ...

It depends on the switch design.

And of course if the total volume monitored exceeds the transmission capacity of the monitoring port then you will have problems.

show cpu would show the performance effects.

I don't recognize the 3548 model at the moment. Is it better known as a 3548XL ? The 3500XL series is an older generation of switches and I don't know anything about the internals.

On the newer Cat3550 and Cat3750, all the packets flow through a common bus, with a bit set in the header for each port that is to receive the packet, so there is no particular performance drop for monitoring (except any involved in selecting which packets should be monitored) as no extra copies of the packet get made on the bus.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

they are 3500XL's, here is some other info I gathered from the web. The monitoring port should be the only thing to take a performance dive, by dropping packets. Any thoughts on this? I thought maybe there was some type of flow control? My setup is such that 1 etherent port is monitoring 46 other ethernet ports(no all in use) minus the to ports that tha sniffer is using. Let me know if you have any more info, Thanks

Reply to
stopnowgo

they are 3500XL's, here is some other info I gathered from the web. The monitoring port should be the only thing to take a performance dive, by dropping packets. Any thoughts on this? I thought maybe there was some type of flow control? My setup is such that 1 etherent port is monitoring 46 other ethernet ports(no all in use) minus the to ports that tha sniffer is using. Let me know if you have any more info, Thanks

Reply to
stopnowgo

Please quote context. Please see here for information on how to do so from Google Groups:

formatting link

What is your interface flow-control set to?

formatting link

It is not uncommon on switches (and routers) that when a port is set to be a monitoring port, that the device operating system turns off listening on the port, so that what is output over the line is *only* the monitored traffic. And besides, there is no certainty that the next device down supports sending PAUSE frames.

Internally, if the traffic to be monitored arrives faster than the rate at which packets can be transmitted through the monitoring port, then packets will get buffered -- but there is a limit to the buffer size. The switch is not going to send PAUSE frames to all the ports being monitored to get them to stop sending long enough for the output queue to drain: if it did that, then the monitoring would interfere with the normal traffic. Besides, some of the monitored ports might be half-duplex, and that doesn't support PAUSE frames; the switch could, I suppose, deliberately send out collision signals on the port, but if it did that, there would be a risk of "too many collisions" resulting in the incoming packet being dropped (and if that happens too often, then the sender might decide that the link is faulty and disable the link...)

The easiest way to resolve all of this without interfering with the normal switch traffic is for the monitoring port to buffer only as much as it can, and for excess packets to be dropped. This does mean that the received monitored traffic does not necessarily contain all of the packets that passed through the switch, but really you have to expect something like that if your monitoring port is not at least as fast as the total traffic being monitored.

Also, you should be aware that if you are monitoring packets at high throughput, that you either need a hardware monitoring appliance designed for that purpose, or else you need a well designed and tuned monitoring computer. For more on this topic, see

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.