Monitoring

Can anyone recommend a good software package to monitor cisco pix routers and swtitches I got a guy leaving my company who was just using some syslog utils and I will have this responsibility now and I am a little new to it. With some research it looks like ether peek is a good tool to use. He was using kiwi syslog.. Anyways any recommendations would be great especailly for free stuff thanks

Reply to
jspr
Loading thread data ...

What do you want to accomplish and what is your budget?

For status m> Can anyone recommend a good software package to monitor cisco pix

Reply to
Nick

Reply to
gene martinez

In article , jspr wrote: :Can anyone recommend a good software package to monitor cisco pix :routers and swtitches I got a guy leaving my company who was just using :some syslog utils and I will have this responsibility now and I am a :little new to it.

If you are looking for alarms/pager/email when certain easily identifiable events show up in the logs, then kiwilogger is probably fine if the event rate isn't too high.

If you are looking for very simple accounting, then the closest I know of is Sawmill, which can only handle very basic records. For -really- basic accounting, the 'pixtraff' program I tossed together is a start:

formatting link

For more sophisticated accounting, such as sorting by usage, selecting particular hosts, ability to account incoming traffic seperately from outgoing, ability to ignore certain kinds of traffic, selecting by time period, automatic per-hour or per day summaries... If you want those sort of features, then the only tools I know of are mine, which are not released. Network Intelligence used to have a useful (but less accurate) program, but they got out of that market.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hey, I looked at MRTG, but did not get it started correctly.. I think you need a web server for it maybe. I looked for some good documentation. I had trouble with that one, butI have not given up on it yet. My company really likes the price.

Reply to
wwalla

MRTG or Whats Up Gold (WUG)?

If its WUG, I can walk you thru setting it up. It has its own built in webserver.

If its MRTG, check

formatting link
will need Perl installed to run it.

Reply to
Nick

Thanks Nick.. I check the link, and give it a try..

Reply to
wwalla

Thanks for all the input I'll check those out...

Reply to
jspr

Or try PRTG (for Windows)

formatting link
regards

Reply to
jarcar

or another RRD based tool

formatting link
John

Reply to
John Mason Jr

We have the following Internet connection:

100MB POS connection terminating at a Cisco PA-POS-1OC3 module which is located in a Cisco ?Enhanced FlexWAN module? blade. This blase is housed within a 6509 switch. Traffic is then passed to a PIX blade.

My query is about monitoring this connection. I want to capture packets on the external interface of the firewall. However I seem to be limited to been able to monitor the internal interface of the firewall by using the "Session Monitor" commands

Does any one know how I could do this by using a switch feature or by using TAPS?

Reply to
Darragh Delaney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.