USB Performance Hit?

If I go to dsl using USB 1.1 will my throughput be satisfactory or do I need an ethernet card? I may want to use a USB webcam from time to time.

Reply to
Harvey
Loading thread data ...

USB 1.1 is generally capable of better throughput than the actual HSI connection, so it shouldn't have a significant hit, beyond any overhead in moving TCP/IP packets over the USB bus. My knowledge of that aspect of USB DSL modems is lacking.

The advantage of an Ethernet modem over a USB modem is the ability to run a NAT router for Internet sharing. The only way that I know of to share an Internet connection with a USB modem is to set up ICS on the USB/Internet adapter in one computer, then connect it to the LAN with an Ethernet adapter.

Newer model DSL modems often have both a USB port and an Ethernet port, though, so check the model specs of what you are getting. You can use the USB port for one computer, and the Ethernet port for another computer. I don't know if the modem can assign multiple ports, as a router, for that Ethernet port, though.

Reply to
NormanM

USB 1.1 can do about 8 Mb/sec (or 1 MB/sec), while DSL is usually no more than 1.5 Mb/sec. While common USB webcams can use the entire available bandwidth of USB, when you're actually using them as webcams you'll normally set the camera to a slow frame rate, so there should be plenty of USB bandwidth to go around. ____________________________________________________________________ TonyN.:' snipped-for-privacy@shore.net '

Reply to
Tony Nelson

I just got the modem and hooked it up to the USB 1.1 hub. Works very nicely.

Reply to
Harvey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.