port monitoring mechanism

hi there~

when monitoring a port is enabled on cisco switches, how do they monitor a port?

store and forward frames or realtime forwarding?

if they store and forward frames, is it possible the order of frames (or the order of packets) exchanged?

Reply to
VongZa
Loading thread data ...

It has to be store and forward, because the port being monitored might not be running at the same speed and duplex as the monitoring port.

I don't know, sorry. I can say that what I've read of the

2950 / 3550 / 3750 (and kin) would not allow the packets to accidently get reordered: in those switches, the packets are put on a shared bus with a bitmapped header indicating which ports should grab copies of the packets, and port monitoring is just done by setting the appropriate "take a copy" bit as the packet gets processed on to the bus. But other switches handle things differently; I wouldn't want to provide a definitive answer for crossing between line cards on something like a 6509.
Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.