Pix501 Static IP Changes

I have had a Sprint DSL static Ip address for over a year, Set up the Pix

501 and have had no problems at all. Last weekend, I have moved also to a Sprint DSL serviced area, and was told I had to have a new static Ip address. I changed the Pix and replaced old static Ip address with new static Ip address, along with the appropriate subnet and gateway addresses. Speed and connection are fine, but am constantly coming up with a message that I have never received before. My computer is up all day. Used to go on - off line numerous times a day, no problems. Now, after this new installation, If I leave the computer off for, I am guessing maybe four - five minutes or more, I receive a Win Xp message that states "No Connection. the Internet is currently unavailable, click "Try Again" to attempt to Connect". I immediately click "Try Again", and it immediately calls in my start page "Yahoo". I have made no other changes, the DSL connect speeds are 1.4 Down and 275 up. In looking at a vague Win Help file, I can only find a vague attempt to say there may be a firewall causing the problem. I don't really think so, but is there a setting that I neglected to set to cause a problem. Also there is one more thing, I have received a new Modem, a model number 645, I believe a Xzylex or something like that. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
Reply to
Pat DeStefano
Loading thread data ...

Problem taken care of. Computers were not all placed in the Pix, slot 2 first, none in slot 1. When computer in slot 1 was installed, no more problem.

Reply to
Guy DeStefano

In article , Guy DeStefano wrote: :Problem taken care of. Computers were not all placed in the Pix, slot 2 :first, none in slot 1. :When computer in slot 1 was installed, no more problem.

Huh? PIX 501 have no slots. They do have a 4-port ethernet switch on the back of them, but you would not call that a 'slot' and it makes no difference to the PIX 501 which ports of the 4 port switch you use.

What that suggests to me is something -completely- different than the "slots" you mention.

What it suggests to me is that the power connector is loose on the PIX 501. Those power connectors are not well designed, and it only takes a bit of movement (less than 1mm) for the power to go unstable with vibrations or jostling. When the connector is even a bit loose, the PIX 501 loses power and reboots itself... I've seen it happen at intervals ranging from 5 minutes to 15 minutes (it almost seems to get a rhythm to it.)

Any kind of adjustment you made to the 501, such as plugging ethernet into a different jack, could have the effect of moving the power connector, for better or worse.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Walter, thanks for the reply. That is what I thought, but I have made no other changes whatsoever other than add the second cat5 cable. I had before the move computer 1 in position 1 of the pix, and computer 2 in position 2 of the pix. After the move, I first set up computer 2 in position 2 of pix, and constantly had the error. And yes, I can duplicate it using the same procedure as above. I will keep on checking what I am able to check.

Reply to
Guy DeStefano

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.