PIX Hardware and fans

Hi,

can someone please tell me if the ram and NIC's in a PIX 515E are standard PC components? They certainly appear to be, I need to upgrade the RAM to run ASDM can I just go and buy some second hand pc100 ram? also the NIC appears to be a standard PCI card, can i use any vendor NIC adapter in the PIX? (can it be GIG?)

On another note, I have the PIX and a 295012G switch for home use, as they are sitting right next to the PC I have unplugged all the fans bar one in the switch and not sure what to do about the PIX as the one fan is very noisy. Has anyone replaced these fans with newer quieter fans with any success?, or since they are only in use at home with plenty of air flow is it safe enough to have no fans at all?

Flamer.

Reply to
die.spam
Loading thread data ...

The 515 10/100 NIC is available at cisco surplus, the fans are quite generic, keep them in and running, as the components will fry without cooling. With the 515 you will run 6.3 PIX OS, the ASDM is nice for looking at your configuration but generates IMHO very messy configurations. The command line is your friend, give it a try. The fans in the CAT are required! Unclear why you want GB in your PIX for a DMZ, are you really maxing a 100Mbit link? Check your counters on the catalyst with MRTG and prove you are in need of bandwidth before assuming you do.

Post any config questions or browse around as there are many sample configurations to get you started.

The PIX is a GREAT device, with excellent capabilities and is extremely solid. I still have a 520 with 4 port DMZ in production, has not failed since new.

Reply to
Shawn Westerhoff

Hi thanks for your answer, but can you clarify, I was really wanting to know if I can use a generic NIC and Ram rather than purchasing cisco branded stuff.

Cheers.

Reply to
die.spam

You can use generic parts in the box, but you have to be intelligent about it. You have to match what Cisco uses and supports. The NICs are certain Intel cards, so using the same Intel chipset cards would work fine. Its not like you can expect any old NIC to work.

Likewise, matchup the type of RAM. The PIX is a small PC box, so it uses PC parts.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Exactly. I was pointing out it will be easier for you to get them from a Cisco surplus rather than try to match up the chipset for the Intel card and RAM.

Also, if it "works" it may still not be as reliable as you need it to be for a core network component. Google the Cisco PN and you will see lots of vendors who are very reliable and offer warranties.

Reply to
Shawn Westerhoff

You can get 2nd hand cheap NIC and RAM , there are thousands of retailers on web

FAN are very much required, you can consider replace the fan with the new and quite one. All fans are not noisy.

Reply to
CK

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.