Pix515e with IOS 7.24 and ASDM 5.24

I have a Pix 515e and upgraded the RAM to 96Mb and upgraded the IOS to 7.24 and loaded ASDM 5.24.

It seems to be taking the new program from the Java based ASDM console. I can change things, save them to the PIX and they work... like IP assignments, and DHCP server settings.

When I tried to use the Stand Along ASDM Console, it couldn't find the Pix configuration file... this bothers me on a very basic level. After trying to use this I disconnected the Pix from the serial console, and disconnected Ethernet1 cable and rebooted. It was all screwed up.

After doing a reset to factory-configuration 192.168.1.1 it was able to be controlled again... but many of my original settings remained... I was a bit concerned at this point where my settings were actually being saved...

Anyone out there know anything about this?

I'm looking for two sticks of 64M ram or more that will work in the Pix 515e. I had a bunch of ram, but nothing larger than the single sided 64's seemed to work. I don't have but the one that small... will trade some 128 or 256 for some

64's that will work.

Regards

David Henzler

Reply to
David Henzler
Loading thread data ...

David Henzler kirjoitti:

Just guessing, I suppose your device suffers from the lack of memory. I have used several 515 devices (without E) with 7.xx software and even with 8.xx software for training purposes and _everything_ works.

I think your device needs minimum 128 Mb of RAM.

Yours, Juki

Reply to
Juki

Say's here in the fine print that if you don't have FO, you only need

64Mb, and i put in 96Mb. The system shows happiness with that issue. Howeer anything is possible.

I have tried to get the unit to work just two interfaces and it says that I have a problem with the permissions. I followed the Getting Started boPDF to the letter with the exception of my IP addresses.

5.2(4) ASDM is just different enough from the Getting Started PDF to make it really difficult to say you're fully compliant.

Oh well there's still some sunlight

David

Reply to
David Henzler

Well all...

Turns out that the configuration was correct, and I have sufficient RAM. The problem was that DNS wasn't functioning, and switching from STATIC to DHCP on Ethernet0 did the trick.

The 5.2(4)ASDM software works fine, however the latest book I can find on the WEB is not the same GUI, and it's difficult to follow the proceedures when they differ. The latest version does things for you that previous versions required the user to do for themselves. I'd say the new version is just fine. Let's see a booklet from Cisco that covers it.

Cisco wouldn't talk to me when I called, stating that my product was a "Gray Market" and I informed them that since they no longer sold or supported it that the fact that I wasn't the original owner shouldn't have been such an issue. Cisco repells business relationships with such an attitude. Use of older equipment by private individuals for personal use, or the startup business as in my case are ways for people to become Cisco customers, and learn about the value of having their hardware. Shunning us such a market sends us elesewhere.

D
Reply to
David Henzler

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.