PIX 7 Software?

I'm looking into getting a new PIX 515E and notice that it comes with 64MB RAM and the 6.3 Software.

In the notes on Cisco's Site it states: "PIX 515/515E systems shipped prior to the general availability of PIX Security appliance Version 7.0 require a mandatory memory upgrade."

Since this comes with the required 64MB of memory, how do I get the copy of the v7 software?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend
Loading thread data ...

Scott

if you have a SmartNet (cisco support contract) - you can download it from cisco.com

Roman Nakhmanson

Reply to
Roman Nakhmanson

New PIX 515E sold these days are shipped with 7.x software.

Do you happen to be planning to purchase a... previously owned... 515E? If so, then unless you happen to buy from one of a quite small number of vendors, the software license doesn't transfer to you and you would have to "relicense" the software, at a non-trivial price.

If you are buying a new new (not previously-owned) 515E from an authorized VAR and it just so happens that the stock dates from before PIX 7.0 was released (April 2005), then you would be entitled to the newest software.

Roman mentioned SmartNet: when you buy a PIX through an authorized VAR you get a warantee period (not particularily long though), and you -effectively- have SmartNet access during that warantee, so you would not need a SmartNet contract for this purpose.

My own opinion is that if you have a situation that needs a PIX 515E, chances are high that its a situation in which you would want SmartNet or even SmartNet Premium.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Perfect. We would be getting the PIX via the new at&t/SBC. The unit comes with 64 megs of installed RAM, so its not an older unit. I've asked them about v7 and they said they can arrange to get me a copy.

PIX 515E-DMZ Bundle (Chas, Restricted SW, 64MB, 3 FE Ports) $2,290.00 Power Cord,110V $0.00 PIX 515E 3DES/AES VPN/SSH/SSL encryption license $0.00 PIX 10/100 Fast Ethernet interface card, RJ45 $0.00 PIX v7 Software for the PIX 515E Chassis $0.00 PIX 515E Restricted (R) feature license $0.00 8x5xNBD Svc, PIX 515E Chassis, Restricted software, 2 $419.00 Total $2,709.00

Is this a pretty good deal? I checked around and Its a bit more then I can get from Ingram Micro, though I'll get more support from them if I need it.

Scott >>I'm looking into getting a new PIX 515E and notice that it comes with 64MB

Reply to
Scott Townsend

it appears to be within 10% of the lowest price I found with a cursory search for a new, non-eBay PIX-515E-R-DMZ-BUN.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

You need 128mb of ram in the pix 515e in order to run version 7 software with the unrestriced or failover licenses. See:

formatting link
You will only be fine with 64mb if you are running a restricted license.

-- Michael

Reply to
Michael Pye

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.