PIX 515E suddenly stopped working....hardware failure?

I have a Cisco PIX 515E that just stopped working the other day. I thought that it was my internet connection down, but further inspection revieled otherwise. I think that something has happened to my PIX.

Here is what is going on....

I cannot get connected to the pix through any interface. I cannot connect via ethernet, or the console port. I looked at the back of the PIX and saw that the link lights were there. I unplugged the network cable, and the LIGHTS STAYED ON! I then continued to power cycle with no luck. I booted with no ehternet cables plugged in, and I got lights all across the back of the PIX. I then turned the PIX back off, and let it set over night. I turned it back on this morning, and the lights didnt come on this time. I thought it was fixed. Then i tried a cable in the back, and i got the link and activity blinking, but i couldnt connect via ehternet or console again. When i unplugged the cable, the 100Mbps lights stays on. This is true for every port that i plug a cable into and then unplug.

I am thinking that it is a hardware issue since it happened all of a sudden. Do you guys have any ideas on what it could be or what i can try to resolve this issue?

BTW...it is out of warranty, so i can get in the case if need be. I am a well versed in electronics and computer parts.

Thanks Jason

Reply to
jasonsandlin04
Loading thread data ...

Hi Jason,

You may wish to investigate Cisco PIX Hardware Troubleshooting:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Refurbished Cisco PIX Firewall Guide
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

-Possibly- you have a grounding problem on the cables or power supply.

Have you tried connecting -only- the console and rebooting? Have you tried changing electrical outlets?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I have got it working is some sorts. I took out the two nics that were in the pci slots, and it booted fine. So, I stuck them back in and it would not boot at all. I tried some over the counter nics, and it would boot, but it would keep restarting after stating the model and all that. It wouldnt try to load from flash. So, i left the cards out and booted up so that one network could have access to the internet.

Now, do i have bad NIC's, or a bad PCI board?

Thanks Jason

Reply to
jsandlin

There -are- some over-the-counter NICs that can be used, but you have to be relatively specific. If you search for frankenpix then some people have listed successes.

Could be either, given that description. But you should be able to try the NICs in a real computer; they aren't anything bizarre, the PIX is just fussy about the model (because it doesn't have a bunch of different drivers ready to load in.)

If the NICs are gone, you need to figure out why -- and from your previous description, my paranoia runs towards grounding issues.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I am going to order a new power supply, and i am going to switch the circuit that it is plugged into to see if that is the problem. I will keep you posted. I am also going to get 2 new nics, and if the others are good, i will have backups. I will keep you posted on my results. This could be a learning experience for someone else.

Thanks Jason

Reply to
jsandlin

Hi Jason,

You may find the Cisco Power Supply Headquarters web page useful:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Jobs

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.