PIX 515 upgrade troubles

Hi All,

I bought a 2nd hand PIX 515 with password enabled. The password reset procedure from Cisco did not work. Because, after tftp'ing the 635.bin, the PIX did not ask for password reset, but asked for the activation key. Happily I wrote this down from the sh ver, so i typed it in, but see, still the [unknown] password ! So, i tried to upgrade the the PIX with 724.bin, what looked good... but: the bin file is copied to RAM and not to flash. Wit this of course the PIX cannot boot. Cisco has a cure, but only from the enable prompt...because I do not have the password , that is not possible for me... Please, I hope that anybody can help me out, beacuse I am in BIG trouble now..

Thanks a lot !! Chris

Reply to
Christian
Loading thread data ...

| Hi All, | | I bought a 2nd hand PIX 515 with password enabled. The password reset | procedure | from Cisco did not work. Because, after tftp'ing the 635.bin, the PIX did | not ask for | password reset, but asked for the activation key. Happily I wrote this down | from the | sh ver, so i typed it in, but see, still the [unknown] password ! | So, i tried to upgrade the the PIX with 724.bin, what looked good... but: | the bin file is | copied to RAM and not to flash. Wit this of course the PIX cannot boot. | Cisco has a | cure, but only from the enable prompt...because I do not have the password , | that is | not possible for me... | Please, I hope that anybody can help me out, beacuse I am in BIG trouble | now..

Did you follow this procedure?

formatting link

Reply to
Morph

| | Hi All, | | | | I bought a 2nd hand PIX 515 with password enabled. The password reset | | procedure | | from Cisco did not work. Because, after tftp'ing the 635.bin, the PIX did | | not ask for | | password reset, but asked for the activation key. Happily I wrote this down | | from the | | sh ver, so i typed it in, but see, still the [unknown] password ! | | So, i tried to upgrade the the PIX with 724.bin, what looked good... but: | | the bin file is | | copied to RAM and not to flash. Wit this of course the PIX cannot boot. | | Cisco has a | | cure, but only from the enable prompt...because I do not have the password , | | that is | | not possible for me... | | Please, I hope that anybody can help me out, beacuse I am in BIG trouble | | now.. | | Did you follow this procedure? |

formatting link
As you can see from this procedure you should tftp PIX Password Lockout Utility and not PIX firewall software. np70.bin (7.x and 8.0 release) np63.bin (6.3 release)

Reply to
Morph

formatting link

Hi Morph,

I overlooked the np70.bin part, i started rightaway with the 724.bin file... Thanks, now it's working ! Many thanks again !

Reply to
Chris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.