PIX 515/E OS upgrade

Hi all,

Quick question for you all. I have just been handed a PIX 515/E to look after. Not being a PIX guru (Checkpoint is my bag, with a few 6513's, 4000 etc). I am looking to upgrade to v7 with the ADSM as the GUI (as I have read) is quite good and may work with other Cisco bits and bobs I have. This PIX is less than 12 months old, why should I have to pay a support contract to upgrade what Cisco say is a better more secure OS.

Any one any ideas where I can get this? would Cisco give me a login for this upgrade? Thanks Jay

Reply to
thejayman
Loading thread data ...

In article , thejayman wrote: :I have just been handed a PIX 515/E to look after. Not being a PIX guru :(Checkpoint is my bag, with a few 6513's, 4000 etc). I am looking to :upgrade to v7 with the ADSM as the GUI (as I have read) is quite good :and may work with other Cisco bits and bobs I have. This PIX is less :than 12 months old, why should I have to pay a support contract to :upgrade what Cisco say is a better more secure OS.

The warrantee on PIX is about 90 days.

:upgrade what Cisco say is a better more secure OS.

It is a major rewrite. Cisco is not giving it away.

Remember, the "product" that is being sold is "security". When (say) Adobe does a major re-write do you expect that Adobe will say, "We've produced a better more expressive Photoshop, and since expressiveness is what Photoshop is about, we'll make this major upgrade available for free!" ?

If you wait about.... oh, 18 or 24 months... then eventually Cisco will stop producing the 6.x stream completely. The next Security Advisory after that will will offer an opportunity to upgrade to to 7.x for free. Might be about 30-ish months from now.

In the meantime, Cisco will be repairing known security vulnerabilities in the 6.3 stream.

:Any one any ideas where I can get this? would Cisco give me a login for :this upgrade?

Cisco would give you a login for it if you purchase it, or if you obtain a support contract on your 515E.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.