PIX 506E Memory...

Hello,

I foud on the Cisco website that the PIX 506E is not able to add more memory in it. Though for the bigger 500 series it is available...

When i opened the PIX 506E (because the CPU cooler was too dry, done now again) i saw 2 memory banks, 1 filled with an 32Mb SDRAM (133mhz) module. When i add another 64MB SDRAM (133mhz) module the system counts to 96MB so it seems to be working, though the system recognizes the memory.

Now my question is the PIX 506E using the added 64Mb...? Will it be an advantage to add more RAM to the 506E...?

Thanks, Michiel

Reply to
Michiel
Loading thread data ...

You can check it by

Sh memory cmmand

sh memory

Michiel wrote:

Reply to
NETADMIN

Hello,

In PDM i can also see the status online... i see that when i have the 32MB module in it the free memory is 16MB... And when i add the 64MB module then probably more memory would be free... ;)...

But i am just wondering...

Like Windows XP when you insert an additional 256MB on the installed 256MB the system is running smoother... is that also what will happen with the PIX...? ;) hehe... Or is it purely depending on the amount of memory free... for example if the memory reaches below 1MB the system is slowing down...?

Thanks, Michiel

"NETADMIN" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Michiel

On the PIX, if you have enough memory for everything that is currently active, then more memory does not speed things up.

On many operating systems (not PIX, but I don't know about XP), once you have enough memory to handle everything this is running simultaneously, adding more memory just changes the point at which you could run even -more- simultaneously. I say "not PIX" because PIX allocates all the memory it needs for the OS at the same time, and then more memory mostly just controls the number of connections (and translations) you can have simultaneously.

It is true that if you are -very- short on memory then with most OS's (including PIX), operations slow down as the OS has to look harder to find free memory for whatever it wants to do. Usually, though, a few hundred Kb is more than enough.

There is a way that XP could potentially run more smoothly with extra memory. I don't know if XP does this, but I know SGI's IRIX operating system does. If you have extra memory hanging around, then the operating system can take it and use it as a disk cache, storing the most-used files completely in memory, so that the next time they are requested they do not have to be fetched from disk. I have not seen any evidence that XP does this, but I am not an XP expert by any means, so I might have been looking in completely the wrong place.

On the PIX 506E, there is something that extra memory can help with. If you have the memory, then you can use "turbo ACLs" (compiled ACLs). That is a mechanism that the PIX can use to figure out in a short sequence whether or not any particular packet matches an access control list. When compiled ACLs are not used, the PIX must start at the beginning of the list and go through each step in sequence until it finds the step that matches (or gets to the end); with compiled ACLs, it can do it without having to search the list. The PIX 506E allows ACLs to be compiled if the ACL contains at least

19 lines (below that it is faster to search the list sequentially.)
Reply to
Walter Roberson

Ahh... ok thanks i understand...

I found out that with the 32MB memory the system is running and having total

15MB free of memory, but when i add the additional 64MB then i have 52MB free memory... so the system probably is using it... speeding...? not sure... i must say the connections are very fast... though i will try to find out the upcomming days and also by adding even more memory, to see what the system does...

About the TurboACLs... how do i do that...? It sounds good... because i have many rules in the PIX... more than 19... ;) hehe...

Sincerely, Michiel

Reply to
Michiel

access-list ACLNAME compiled

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.