Cisco 5002 question

Hi there

I have a Catalyst 5002 switch, with a group-switched 10BaseT ethernet card. I'd like to have fast ethernet on this switch, so was thinking of purchasing a new line card.

Am I correct in thinking that any 5000 series module will work with the

5002? I was contemplating purchasing a Switched 10/100BaseTX Fast Ethernet module or Switched 10/100BaseTX Fast EtherChannel module, but was not sure what the difference was?

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe
Loading thread data ...

No -- the product literature promised it would, but that's not what really happened.

The 5002 does not support RSM, VIP2, or LightSTream 1010 ATM.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

hmmm!

It's been a while however.

RSM makes little sense in a chassis that takes only one line card.

VIP2 is/was a 7500 router thing

Lightstream 1010 ATM was just that, not related to 5000.

5002 is probably end of sale now but IIRC it was pretty much a normal 5000 and would take pretty much any 5000 line cards.

The limitation I guess would be the Supervisor that you have.

I would guess that the EtherChannel modules that you mention are just that. Modules that support EtherChannel. Pretty much every current cisco switch supports EtherChannel but I suspect that this was not always the case.

Reply to
Bod43

Hi Dilan,.

WS-X5224-RF - Switched 10/100BaseTX Fast Ethernet Module

272 units in stock

WS-X5225R-RF - Switched 10/100BaseTX Fast EtherChannel Module

103 units in stock

Cisco EtherChannel Technology:

formatting link

-------------------------------

Data Sheet:

Catalyst 5000, Ethernet and Fast Ethernet Switching Modules

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

With the older supervisors, RSM was the only way to get Layer 3.

formatting link
"You can install the RSM/VIP2 combination in the Catalyst 5000, 5505, 5509, and 5500 chassis."

formatting link
The ATM fabric integration module seamlessly integrates the switching fabrics of a Catalyst 5500 switch and a LightStream 1010 ATM switch installed in the bottom slots of the Catalyst 5500 chassis.

The module consists of one external LightStream 1010 OC-12 ATM interface and one internal interface to the LightStream 1010 switching backplane. The external OC-12 ATM interface behaves exactly as any an OC-12 interface on a LightStream 1010 port-adapter module (PAM).

formatting link
Note Using the Fast EtherChannel feature on a Catalyst 5000 switch requires a hardware upgrade. Contact your local sales representative for upgrade details.

Some of the line cards for the 5000 supported etherchannel and some of them didn't. I don't know what the nature of the hardware upgrade was, nor whether devices sold later had the upgrade already built in.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.