Problems with 12.4.4T and 837?

I loaded IOS 12.4.4T into one of my 837s. It got my router crashed. But only one out of 2. The minimum requirements are 12 Mb flash and 64 MBytes of RAM while all of the routers have only 48 RAM The answer is quite obvious but shoukdn't both the routers behave the same way?

Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

AM schrieb:

Different config? (memory-size iomem 10) ??? Also the k9o3sy6 needs more RAM than k9o3y6.

Reply to
Uli Link

No, I started both from an empty config file. BTW I noticed that there are no GD images files for 837 routers. Must I live with heartbeat due to the fact that I must use ED image files. Moreover I saw that the latest well known and able to work only with 48 MBytes of RAM is 12.3(11)YS1. Is that a good choice? I know it depends on what I need to do but in general one tries to install a release the newest and at the same time stable to use more features without re-installing another IOS image (most of the times the router is not physically accessible).

Alex.

Reply to
AM

There are a few things here. It is not altogether astonishing that two different routers beahve differently. At any instant you either have enough memory or you don't, a difference of one byte would be enough to cause a failure.

Has one had a different ROM? Were they connected to a network? Is the config reg the same? Are they the same board revision? How many times did you try? Maybe over a large enough number of tries they would both be the same?

Wouldn't worry me.

GD.

837 needed out of mainline code in 12.3 Maybe 12.4?

If you want GD stability you have to be patient. Get a 7200:-) Or rich:-)

If this concerns you why are you using 12.4T? Surely you should be using 12.4 Mainline?

Reply to
anybody43

Not available at all. Only 12.4.3(LD) that is Limited Deplyed release................ Mainline for 800 series are theory and dreams.............

Many thanks, alex.

Reply to
AM

~ > If this concerns you why are you using 12.4T? ~ > Surely you should be using 12.4 Mainline? ~ > ~ ~ Not available at all. Only 12.4.3(LD) that is Limited Deplyed release................ ~ Mainline for 800 series are theory and dreams............. ~ ~ Many thanks, alex.

12.4 mainline is definitely available for the 837. For example, CCO has the following 837 images in 12.4(5):

c837-k9o3sy6-mz.124-5.bin c837-k9o3y6-mz.124-5.bin

These do require 64MB of DRAM. For a 48MB 837 you'd need to use a 12.3T or special build such as 12.3(11)T8 or 12.3(2)XA5.

Now, as far as the prospects for "General Deployment" code for the 837 ... I suppose that's another story.

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.