Limit In & Out Bandwitch on a port of Cisco 3550 IOS ?

Hi

I am search a solution for limit the bandwitch of one cisco Fe port on a Catalyst 3550 :

I have a server connected at 100 Mbits on this port. I want limit the bandwitch at 10 Mbits In and 10 Mbits Out

if the server use > 10 Mbits => use a queue and when the queue are full, drop the packet.

It's possible ?

thanks Mag

Reply to
Mag
Loading thread data ...

Mag a écrit :

Small information:

Limitation based on port, not IP because the port are connected to a other switch and it's possible in the futur that they have a second server

Reply to
Mag

Er...... Set the port to 10M. Perfect.

You could consider the 3550 QoS however the tools provided are crude and the facilities somewhat opaque. It's like assembly language programming.

Reply to
bod43

no because the port on the remote equipement don't support 10Mbits. it's a 100/1000 port

Reply to
Mag

possible theoretical way to do it (as in i have done something like this in a lab on a Cat 6509 running IOS, but not a 3550).

set up a new vlan, 2 ports, no trunking

1 [port connects to your server. 1 port loops back to the original port on the 3550. force the 2 looped ports to 10 / full disable CDP on the looped ports so the switch doesnt have hysterics.

result is 100M port on device talks to switch, switch traffic goes out, via a 10M limit, and back in again.

But really be much easier on something like a 3560 with the port limiting......

Reply to
Stephen

Yes, *yes*, YES. This is the easy solution.

You can alternativley spend days 'n' days trying to figure out the QoS only perhaps to find out that you can't quite manage exactly what you are trying to do.

You can very likely sort out the output but the input is likely to be more challenging or impossible.

Reply to
bod43

Try ingress/egress policing:

formatting link

Stephen wrote:

Reply to
fugettaboutit

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.