Cisco 3550 and Qos Monitoring

Hi all,

I've a couple of 3550-48-SMI as access routers, all port being Layer3 directly facing the customers. Each port has policing enabled in ingress and egress, to limit customer's traffic. If I monitor the interface statistisc via snmp, I can only get prepoliced traffic (that's, if my customer is pushing me 10Mbps, and I'm policing him a 1Mbps, I get the 10Mbps graphic). Then I tried to monitor the ports using PORT-QOS-MIB. It should have all the infos I need, in fact the cportQosStatsEntry contains the following for each port and direction:

Pre Policy Packets Pre Policy Octets Post Policy Packets Post Policy Octets Drop Packets Drop Octets Classified Octets Classified Packets

The goal is to be able to graph Post Policy Octets, so I've a real understanding of what it's going on. Unfortunately, all the Post Policy fields are 0... I have meaningful values for Prepolicy, Drop and Classfied octets, but no post policy at all... is that 'normal'?

I'm using IOS 12.1(22)EA1 right now.

Reply to
Marco Matarazzo
Loading thread data ...

No, it is not normal, or at least it should not be. However, it's possible that these things are not implemented in current release and that would not be something new (somebody mentioning counters for v110 calls on some other platform? :-) ).

If you really need that, open a TAC case and file a bug. Then it is possible to get it fixed.

Reply to
Ivan Ostreš

I was just reviewing the release notes today and saw this was a bug. It is not yet fixed in 12.1 code but I believe it is fixed in version 12.2.25SEA

Scott

Reply to
thrill5

"thrill5" wrote in comp.dcom.sys.cisco:

Good to know! Have you a Bug Id I can search? I came up with nothing on the Cisco Bug Navigator... also, nothing on the release notes for 12.2.25SEA...

-- Thanks! ]\/[arco

Reply to
Marco Matarazzo

Sorry, however . . .

That must be the image. Good to see the image names catching up with reality.

I bit severe and I am not presently exposed to enough code to judge for myself really, but I feel that there is an element of truth in my comment.

Reply to
anybody43

I saw this in the 12.1.22 Release Notes and bug is CSCdt29703.

Scott

Reply to
thrill5

"thrill5" wrote in comp.dcom.sys.cisco:

Uhm... I don't think this what I'm looking for:

"If you assign both tail-drop threshold percentages to 100 percent by using the wrr-queue threshold interface configuration command and display quality of service (QoS) information for this interface by using the show mls qos interface statistics privileged command, the drop-count statistics are always 0 even if the thresholds were exceeded. To display the total number of discarded packets, see the show controllers ethernet-controllers interface-id privileged EXEC command. In this display, the number of discarded frames includes the frames that were dropped when the tail-drop thresholds were exceeded. (CSCdt29703)"

I can perfectly see the number of dropped packets and octets, both from cli and snmp. What I don't get is postPolicyPackets and postPolicyOctets, that should enable me to graph the ACTUAL bandwidth I'm giving to customers, instead of traffic hitting the physical interface (prePolicyPackets/octets). I can try to graph (prePolicyOctets - dropOctets), but I just hate to do two snmp queries when there's one that would fit...

Reply to
Marco Matarazzo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.