IP UNN clarification

I'm moving to an ISP that wants to configure Ser/0/0/0 as IP UNN. Now I understand the basic concept, but am fuzzy on the details. Will that change in any way the ACL's that I currently (other than the obvious IP range change) use, or how I can apply them? And I have a VPN from a PIX501 to my 2811 that uses the IP Address of Ser0/0/0 as the peer address. What do I need to change on the VPN with IP UNN? Just change the peer to the FE0/0 IP address (which the IP UNN points to)?

Sorry for basic questions, but I just haven't used IP UNN before, and I don't have the luxury of a good test environment.

Thanks,

Gordon Montgomery Living Scriptures, Inc snipped-for-privacy@lsi.com (anti spam - replace lsi with livingscriptures) (801) 627-2000

Reply to
Gordon Montgomery
Loading thread data ...

No, it shouldn't change your ACLs significantly. Presumably the ACLs allow to/from the public IPs assigned to your LAN, not the serial IP.

Yes. You could also create a Loopback0 interface and assign an IP there, so that the endpoint would exist regardless of the status of FE0/0. This is especially a good idea if you have multiple inside interfaces, so that the VPN isn't dependent on any particular one.

Another change you'll probably have to make is to your default route. If it currently points to the IP at the other end of the serial link, you should change it to point to the interface itself, i.e.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0/0

Reply to
Barry Margolin

I assume I would just assign one of my static IP's from my /24.

Thank you for you response. I assumed that's how it would be, but it is always nice to get confirmation from someone who really knows. I may not know all the answers, but I usually know where I can find them.

Thanks again,

Gordon

Gordon Montgomery Living Scriptures, Inc snipped-for-privacy@lsi.com (anti spam - replace lsi with livingscriptures) (801) 627-2000

Reply to
Gordon Montgomery

Yes.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.