DD-WRT and file & print sharing

Is there something in the DD-WRT firmware that needs to be enabled in order for me to see the other (2) PC's on the router? They show up in the DHCP client's list but I can't see them in windows. Maybe it's the OS? I'm running W2K, my sister's PC is on Win98se and my brother is XP home.

Help?

Ken

Reply to
KG0WX
Loading thread data ...

"KG0WX" hath wroth:

Can you ping the other machines?

What happens when you try: Start -> run -> cmd \\\\ip_address_of_other_machine

Are these other clients connected via wireless or via wired ethernet? If wireless, there is a feature called "AP Isolation" which is used by hot spots to prevent wireless clients from seeing (and attacking) each other. It should be disabled (by default):

(near the middle of the list).

Otherwise, look for the usual problems with Windoze firewall exceptions, 3rd part Internet security systems, mixed Windoze workgroups, file sharing disabled, etc.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Try disabling the loopback feature. This is taken from help on the management screen "The loopback is an option because it will break pptp and windows machine browsing by wireless clients"

I haven't tried playing with it but I came across it and thought I would post the info.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Thanks, Jeff - both the other machines are using the wired portion of the router (WRT54g v4). I can ping the 98 machine but get a timeout when trying the XP machine. I can ping myself, of course.

AP Isolation is off and I tried turning off the loopback (do I need to reboot the pc's?) but got no improvement.

I tried turning off the Sygate firewall's running on the XP & 2k machines and made sure F&P sharing was enabled. I also verified that all machines are spelling the workgroup name (WORKGROUP) identically.

No success.........

Ken

Reply to
KG0WX

Sorry, coming into this conversation late, so I haven't read the first part. You mentioned disabling Sygate's firewall, how about XP's native firewall? If you have SP2 installed, it is enabled by default. I have had problems with XP machines not seeing the workgroup and it turned out to be XP's firewall.

Gordon Montgomery Living Scriptures, Inc snipped-for-privacy@lsi.com (anti spam - replace lsi with livingscriptures) (801) 627-2000

Reply to
Gordon Montgomery

"KG0WX" hath wroth:

Let's take one machine at a time please.

In the XP machine, ping is normally disabled in both the Windoze firewall exceptions and in your Sygate proxy. You're not going to get anywhere until you disable BOTH of these. What happens is that you disable Sygate, which by default, turns on the native Windoze Firewall. Try to get it to the point where you can ping the XP box from BOTH other machines.

What happens when you try: Start -> run -> cmd \\\\ip_address_of_other_machine This is indpendent of ping and will work even if ping does not.

I don't know about the loopback suggestion. I've never had to play with it and have no idea why it would make any difference.

Try removing the wireless from the picture and just plug the wireless computer into the router with an ethernet cable. Once that's working, then we can deal with the wireless.

Patience. I think you have a fairly typical mess of Windoze internet protection software that is doing its best to get in the way. I'm fairly convinced that the wireless and the router configuration are correct and have nothing to do with the problem. I'll leave you to deal with the various computers. It might be something as simple as not having file and print sharing turned on. What happens when you browse a computer from itself? You should see your computer name in "network neighborhood" or whatever XP calls it. If you don't see your own computer, sharing is off.

I've found it easier to do testing from the command line because of better error messages. Try: Start -> run -> cmd net view net view \\\\ip_address net view \\\\netbios_machine_name net view \\\\your_own_computer_name Try these.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yep, did that. No luck.

Thanks for the idea, though. :-)

Ken

Reply to
KG0WX

DDWRT type question, but differring 'problem'. WRT54G V2 DDWRT current full version.

Have you seen or heard of issues with the web interface not displaying/rendering properly in IE7? Note router fully functional etc just the GUI/Web interface doesn't render properly in IE 7. Renders fine in IE6 though. So just wondering have you in your reading seen this mentioned?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) hath wroth:

So, start a new thread.

No clue. I do just about everything with Firefox 2.0 and use IE only for updates and worthless web sites that only function with IE (such as my bank and brokerage). I'll try it when I have a chance.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff, if you want to get away from using IE completely even for Windows Updates and site that require it then try this extension add on it works for Firefox, SeaMonkey and Mozilla.

Get it here.

formatting link
Jeff, I sure would like you input on the following subject.

news://newsgroups.bellsouth.net:119/IWrph.7362$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews2.bellsouth.net

Danny Kile,

Reply to
Danny Kile

Danny Kile hath wroth:

Most such extensions, that offer IE functionality within another browser, use the various libraries supplied with IE. I can't tell if this is one of those. Also, I'm not terribly interested in not using IE, especially for Windoze Updates. There's to big a risk in blowing up a Windoze system during an update to use anything other than IE for the update.

The about URL didn't work for me because the bellsouth.net newsgroups are not carried by Newsguy. I did find it with Google Groups at:

Oops. I thought I replied to that question. I did mention that I've only done only two RV installations and both were using antennas piggybacked on spotlights. I really don't know much about RV installs and RV parks, but let me think about it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:52:44 GMT, rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote in :

I've had no problem administering DD-WRT v23SP2 with IE7.

Reply to
John Navas

So it's just me. I wonder what might be the problem?

Thanks John.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

I thought this thread had been hijacked so I stopped googling it. Good thing I decided to check it today! Thanks Jeff for the help - I get a list of my shared folders with Net View\\\\192.168.1.123 (my laptop) but the other two machines, one ending in 121 and the other 128 both spit back "error 53". Same result if I do "Net View\\\\DOLPHINS" or "Brak" (the names of the other two PC's as they appear in the "Status"-"Lan" section of DD- WRT.)

Again, Thanks for the help!

Ken KG0WX

Reply to
KG0WX

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.