how to connect two cisco switches ?

About to play with some Cisco switches for the first time ( have worked it PIX's and some of smaller routers ) - specifically the 2960; I've read the docs , but don't see how to daisy chain them and I don't see the docs referring to this ; I assume this is a "everyone knows" issue -

Some cisco docs I've seen simply mention running from one Ethernet port to another -

Reply to
barret bonden
Loading thread data ...

your correct..also read up on ISL and etherchannel for creating redundant physical links from switch to switch

Reply to
christian koch

Read up on your spanning tree information and don't "daisy chain" too much.

Also Cisco proprietary ISL is being deprecated by Cisco so don't bother with it. Use standards based 802.1q for trunking and use etherchanneling for combining ethernet ports for higher throughput and failover between switches.

Also check > About to play with some Cisco switches for the first time ( have worked

Reply to
amigan

Very kind of you both to reply , but I know far less than you think, (and ISL and etherchannel think are not relevant as both 2960's will be in the same on the same shelf - though I did read on the technologies and the reading did advance my understanding , generally, of Cisco switches ) -

Can you tell me how to just connect the two switches ? I see the client just wants more ports in the same room - I understand that I can use fiber - but there's nothing I can find in the cisco docs that talk simply and clearly about just connecting the switches -

Do I just run a cable from a port on one switch to a port on another? Can this be done ? will it work as it would in any two dumb hubs ?

If I use fiber and an SFP transceiver in both will this work as above, or are there commands I must use ? Again will this work as with any two dumb hubs or simpler switches I've worked with ?

Reply to
barret bonden

As long as the switches are like the 2950 you will need to turn the relevant ethernet ports with the command switchport mode access This should allow cross switch communication, In the case of fibre it should be possible but i cant seem to get it working here, i can only get fibre working across a link rather than switch to switch.

H> Very kind of you both to reply , but I know far less than you think, (and

Reply to
Phil

As long as the switches are like the 2950 you will need to turn the relevant ethernet ports with the command switchport mode access This should allow cross switch communication, In the case of fibre it should be possible but i cant seem to get it working here, i can only get fibre working across a link rather than switch to switch.

H> Very kind of you both to reply , but I know far less than you think, (and

Reply to
Phil

BArret,

If what you need is just a simple interconnection between the switches just run a cable between them making sure to connect the cable to "link" ports if the switch has any. Otherwise just run a crossover cable between them. Crossover cable : Connector 1 connector 2 1 3 2 6

3 1 6 2

H> As long as the switches are like the 2950 you will need to turn the

Reply to
Camilo

I did it, and of course it turned out to be utterly trivial.

We connected the two switches with a fiber optic cable, and then I ran through the setup via a console cable. The switches would not communicate prior to the setup, but the setup choices I made were minimal, not even assigning an ip address to the switch.

I should add the first switch too had a minimal config; no vlans (but #1 ) and no trunking.

After that, with an Ethernet cable from my laptop to the new switch, I could ping a machine off the first switch.

Reply to
barret bonden

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.