How to connect two different location servers?

We have two small locations at two different places, both offices are equipped with DSL connection for internet/mail access. one location has to access some machines on other site and vice versa. How to do that, describe me what are the steps involved?. Also for securing machines do we have to install any separate hardware for security?, which hardware is better. Thanks.

Reply to
GS
Loading thread data ...

You're looking for a VPN - Virtual Private Network.

VPN transfers the packets of the internal network as payload in an external network connection. The method is called tunneling. To preserve privacy of the internal network, the packets are encrypted before being loaded into the external network packets.

There are a couple of HOWTOs about VPN in the Linux Documentation Project. The explain the basica prety well, but all are quite outdated.

My favourite for Linux-to-Linux VPN in OpenVPN . It works with recent Windowses and many Unix-like systems, too.

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

We have different servers at both locations, we are using different subnets, for example one location had DSL and connected all PC's to LAN using 172.16.35 subnet and other location had cable modem and Router, again all PC's to LAN using 172.16.16 subnet, now we have to access machines at both locations, how can we do that. thanks.

Reply to
GS

Did you see the reply from Tauno Voipio?

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

You can use a Virtual Private Network, to connect the two sites. I use OpenVPN. You can also build a firewall/router/NAT with Linux, to protect your network from the outside world. You can use the same Linux box for both.

Reply to
James Knott

He referenced Mssr. Voipio's post in the headers, which means that he did indeed see it, so it seems like the OP wants to have the HOWTO read to him.

Reply to
ynotssor

In OpenVPN, there are two ways to connect the networks:

- routed, or - bridged.

The bridged connection forwards the datalink level frames, i.e. Ethernet frames. This makes the computers seem in a common local net, which may be an advantage, if protocols like Novell or Microsoft (without TCP/IP) have to be handled. The obvious disadvantage is hefty overhead of unnecessary packets bridged to the other end.

The routed connection routes IP packets over the VPN. It works like any IP routing, connecting different subnets.

It seems to me that you're looking for a routed VPN.

Please get the HOWTOs and read them

HTH

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.