Help with VPN Client

Hi all. I have a local connection, in Win XP, with the option "Append primary DNS suffixes" on. When I launch my VPN client, it changes this option, so I can't surf my local network. I tried to insert my favourites servers on "hosts" file, but surfing begin to come very slow!

How can I solve this problem?

Thank in advance.

'cello.

Reply to
marcello.tamburini
Loading thread data ...

It sounds like the VPN you are connecting to does not have split-tunneling enabled which means ALL of you traffic flows thru the VPN connection.

Reply to
Merv

ok I have this configuration:

In the tab "Transport": checked "Enable Transparent Tunneling", choose "IPSec over UDP"; then checked "Allow locan LAN Access".

Is that, you mean?

Reply to
marcello.tamburini

Your previous posts (which you should have quoted for context) did not indicate what kind of device is at the tunnel destination. For your current post, it is not clear which tab your are configuring that on, whether it be the VPN client or the unnamed security endpoint.

In order to have local LAN access, the VPN client must be configured to request it, *and* the security endpoint must be configured to allow it. You cannot just configure something on the VPN client and get local access: the security endpoint has the master control [because it introduces security vulnerabilities.]

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Sorry for quoting, but i'm responding via news.google.it. However, I can't configure any endpoint, 'cause I'm only a user. But this error occurs with at most with two different connections. The tab I montioned is the tab in the Cisco VPN Client 4.0.2.(A) in the Connection properties.

Thank you for helping.

Reply to
marcello.tamburini

formatting link
has information on how to quote using the google interface.

Perhaps those two are ones where the security administrator has not allowed local access.

If the security administrator of a VPN connection does not wish to permit local access, then gaining local access requires a fair bit of work... and the security administrator would likely get fairly upset if it were detected.

But you can ask the security administrator about whether they have enabled split-tunneling. If they *have* it enabled then we can move on to other theories (e.g., that they might have "client-configure" in effect.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Walter Roberson ha scritto:

Thanks for suggestion!

[snip]

Ok. But when I connect to my LAN there is no problem. When i Launch the VPN client the error occurs, but I can go to modify LAN connection properties and solve manually the problem. It works!

Reply to
marcello.tamburini

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.