GBIC connector

I have the old 3550 and 3560 switches in my network. I want to connect them using fiber. Where can I find information regarding the types of GBIC to use and if I need to use either LC or SC fiber cables. Thanks.

Reply to
Someone
Loading thread data ...

The 3550 use SC style GBIC's, the 3560's use LC style GBIC's so you will need to use a LCxSC fiber patch cable if they are in close proximity to each other. Very common item. If they are in different closets connected by infrastructure fiber then that will depend on what is in the cans, either SC or ST.

Reply to
Brian V

Goto

formatting link
and in the upper left hand corner enter "GBIC" in the search box and then click "search".

Reply to
Thrill5

I am sure that the OP would find this less confusing if the correct terminology was used.

The LC adapters are SFP.

I am aware that quite a lot of people use the term GBIC to mean any concievble design of modular Network interface adapter however if you want an SFP then you are not going to find the right stuff by searching for GBIC on the Cisco web site.

/rant

Reply to
Bod43

Sort of true. SFP stands for Small Form-factor Pluggable. Some references say this is a Small Form-factor Pluggable GBIC, so it may not be entirely false to refer to an SFP as a kind of GBIC, but I agree it's certainly confusing. There's also some confusion about whether a mini-GBIC and an SFP are the same thing, but I'll leave that for another day.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.