GBIC mdoule Fiber -1000BASE-X

Hello - I am using 1000B-X GBIC Fiber module from two different vendor equipments. When I connect the Fiber links I see that the link does not come up. Whereas if I use 1000BASE-X GBIC Fiber modules from same equipment vendors, the link comes up.

Could someone explain this behaviour ? Is it to do with some specific vendor implementation that only links up with its own implementation?

Kott

Reply to
Kott
Loading thread data ...

Do a show interface after you've stuck the gbics in. Does it report the proper (and same) media type on both ends? Some third party brands are not properly recognized in some combinations of Cisco switches and IOS. You might also be mixing SX and LX modules.

-Chris

Reply to
chris

even worse. Some vendors only allow there own GBIC/SFP.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

could be an attenuation problem?

Reply to
Ben

In theory not unless he's using ZX modules. I'd think he would know that given the huge price tag on those. For the Cisco gbics, the SX and LX modules transmit power is not above the max receive level.

-Chris

Reply to
chris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.