LC Dual mode fiber cables, I need some help/info

I am needing to connect two devices using LC dual mode cables. I am not familiar with LC connectors/technology. I have pulled and terminated many, many ST MM cables using anaerobic glue on connectors at my work but have never even seen an LC cable end.

Even though I only need two pairs of fiber for this run, I want to terminate them myself rather than buy pre terminated cables. Can anybody recommend a low cost termination kit for LC ends? A source to buy it? Connectors? I really appreciate any assistance you can provide.

THANKS!

--Dan

Reply to
dg
Loading thread data ...

The polishing procedure is a bit different for the LC connector in that it's a dome tip connector with a rather small dome radius that's not easy to control in the field. I've been doing those couple years back, and the procedure (by Lucent) was rather cumbersome as you needed five (!) separate sheets of Mylar film to serve as the backing on top of the polishing glass. You also needed to make less figure-8s as the surface is extremely small and is very easy to over-polish.

The polishing fixture, microscope and the oven holders are different for LCs as the ferrule diameter is only 1.25mm versus 2.5mm for ST and SC. The manufacturers normally sell all the tools that are different for LC as "LC upgrade kits". Those can easily run couple hundred dollars, so if you only want to make a few terminations, it may not be easily justifiable.

It is a great connector though; the insertion loss readings are usually (much) better than that of 2.5mm ferrule connectors.

Note that some people have fingers too big to handle LCs conveniently (no kidding). I was teaching a fiber class few years ago, and one of the students had to connect/disconnect LCs in pairs as he just could not squeeze only one connector's latch - they were too close together for his fingers. Rather large gentleman though, it was never a problem for me personally ;-)

Good luck!

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

I usually don't mind buying tools even if they outweigh paying somebody else to do the job. But the more I think about it, the more I think I may be able to get away with using pre terminated fiber.

Still have to think about this one. Thanks for your input!

Thanks,

--Dan

Reply to
dg

I agree with your assertion: since the LCs are smaller than your "regular" standard connectors, you may have better luck fishing the connectorized end through the tight spaces. My personal experience with preterminated fiber cables has been rather disappointing, but that may have little to do with your actual situation.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.