6513 WS-X6408A-GBIC

We are attempting to get a 8 port GBIC module working in our 6513. I have plugged the new module in and the status light shows green as expected but I cannot get the GBIC to sync when hooking up to a media convertor. The media converter never see's the 6513 and the 6513 doesnt see the MC. I am about out of ideas with the only remaining idea is to have someone check the fiber to see that we are passing light as expected. I have tried different GBICs, different media converters, SMF and MMF, and different ports. Only catch 22 is we are using small length cables of like 15 foot for testing if that matters. We have tried using both SX and LX GBIC's.

Media converter operates @ 1310 wavelength as does the GBIC and the media converter says it will run SMF or MMF.

show module = status ok show test diag complete = PASS show port = not connected verified port enabled performed a reset on the module

Anybody got any clues or further troubleshooting I can try while waiting for someone to test the fiber?

Reply to
Its me Earnest T.
Loading thread data ...

Is the media converter gig? The fiber gbics only operate at gig and will not run at 10/100. If it's gig have you tried reversing the transmit/receive?

Reply to
Brian V

Hi Earnest,

When your gigbit link does not come up, you may want to perform these steps:

Step 1. Verify that system requirements are met for GBIC installation by referring to:

System Requirements to Implement Gigabit Ethernet on Catalyst Switches

formatting link
Step 2. If the switch is not recognizing a GBIC module, make sure the switch is running at least the minimum Catalyst OS (CatOS) or Cisco IOS Software.

For more information, refer to the:

Software Advisor

formatting link
Step 3. Ensure that the device has power.

This includes having enough available power for all hardware installed in the chassis, particularly for the Catalyst 4000 or 6000 series.

For more information, refer to:

Power Management for Catalyst 6000 Series Switches

formatting link
Step 4. Verify that the GBIC cable is connected to another active network device and that the port is not shut down.

Step 5. Replace cable with a known good cable.

Step 6. Make sure GBICs are matched on either side of the connection.

*Note: For gigabit connections, GBICs need to be matched on each side of the connection.

There are different types of GBICs, depending on the cable and distances involved:

short wavelength (SX), long-wavelength/long-haul (LX/LH) and extended distance (ZX).

An SX GBIC needs to connect with an SX GBIC; an SX GBIC does not link with an LX GBIC.

Also, some gigabit connections require conditioning cables, depending on the lengths involved.

Step 7. Make sure the flow control and port negotiation settings are consistent on both sides of the link.

There may be incompatibilities in the implementation of these features if the switches being connected are from different vendors.

If in doubt, turn these features off on both switches.

Step 8. Swap GBIC to a different slot.

Also, try using a spare GBIC to see if it works.

Finally, you may wish to refer to:

Catalyst 6500 Series Troubleshooting

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Power Supply Headquarters
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Both sides are gig.

Reply to
Its Me Ernest T.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.