Frame Relay Capture?

Hello,

I do not have a WAN alanizer. I am interrested in some Frame Relay captures. Can someone send me some? I have a lot of sniffers to visualize them, included Ethereal, Sniffer Pro, ...

For me, the perfect capture will be a ping (Echo Request/Echo Reply) comunication.

Thank you very much for your help.

Eric.

Reply to
Eric Gamess
Loading thread data ...

Hello,

Yes, I know that I need a WAN analyzer. Since I do not have one, I am looking for someone to send me some captured files. I will only look at then with Ethereal or another sniffer.

Eric.

Reply to
Eric Gamess

you cannot capture the the packets of a wan interface unless you have a kind of wan analyzer. What you can do is debug the interface and then view the packets you are receiving via the debug process, try debug frame-relay packets you will get all of them. Hope this helps

Reply to
<Anthrax>

In article , Eric Gamess wrote: :Yes, I know that I need a WAN analyzer. :Since I do not have one, I am looking for someone to send :me some captured files. I will only look at then with Ethereal :or another sniffer.

Ethereal is for analyzing Ethernet packets -- I don't believe it is suitable for analyzing Frame Relay. FR operates over multiple physical layers such as RS232 and T1, and the frame format is not consistant with 802.2 or 802.3 ethernet frames.

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Never used it for FR but Frame Relay is listed as supported.

Reply to
Gerard Bok

yes it does, although personally i never used it for that purpose before i knew it was possible with some wan analyzers that support the capture in ..cap file format.

see here...

formatting link
unfortunatelly i cannot provide you with a sample file.

Reply to
<Anthrax>

Ethereal should be fine. We have an old Network General ( from before it went to Network Assiciates, and MacAfee, anc back to Network General) sniffer with RS-232 serial cables which sniffs Frame Relay. If the old DOS sniffer decoded frame, a new Ethereal should be able to.

Reply to
tcollicutt

Live capture support under Ethereal depends on many things including the particular hardware you're using, your operating system, the version of libpcap/WinPcap that you have installed, and the drivers you're using. You can use Ethereal to sniff Frame Relay frames using Linux but it requires the current CVS version of libpcap. According to the Ethereal website these are the protocols that are supported based on what OS you're using.

802.11 ATM Ethernet FDDI FrameRelay Loopback Serial TokenRing AIX ? ? Yes ? ? ? ? Yes FreeBSD Yes ? Yes ? ? Yes ? Yes HP-UX ? ? Yes ? No No ? ? Irix ? ? Yes ? No ? ? No Linux Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Mac OSX Yes No Yes No No Yes Yes No NetBSD Yes ? Yes ? ? Yes ? Yes OpenBSD Yes ? Yes ? ? Yes ? Yes Solaris ? Yes Yes Yes No No No Yes Tru64 ? ? Yes ? No Yes ? ? Windows Yes ? Yes ? No N/A Yes Yes
Reply to
Brad

Email me. I have quite a few captures, mostly raw hex.

Reply to
John Agosta

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.