Differentiating traffic on routers

My company has layer 2 communication equipment (i.e. it acts as L2 switch). The equipment is manageable and includes L3 hosts. As a forwarding device, the equipment is transparent to layer 3 and/or VLAN . I have a customer who wishes to differentiate the L3 traffic in our equipment and the L3 traffic from the original traffic. The customer wishes to use different subnets for his original traffic, and another for our equipment (see sketch). The IP address allocation of the hosts is dynamic, but the subnet is controlled in the DHCP server. I understand that the best way to do this is by using VLAN, but we do not support it at this stage (it is planned for next phase of the equipment). Is it possible to do this without VLAN? If yes, what type of router will support it (interfaces are all

100/1000 Mbps Ethernet)? How can I find it in Cisco documentation?

host 1 - original ----------------- IP 10.10.10.x | subnet: 255.255.255.0 | L2 Switch -- | | host 2 - our equip.-----------------| | IP 20.20.20.y | subnet: 255.255.255.0 | R host 3 - original ----------------- | IP 10.10.11.z | | subnet: 255.255.255.0 | | L2 Switch -- | host 2 - our equip.----------------| IP 20.20.21.w subnet: 255.255.255.0

Reply to
Jenifer
Loading thread data ...

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0| =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0R

You definitely cannot do this without layer 3 differentiation, which would require secondary addresses on the router (within a single vlan), or vlans, neither of which you can provide based on your overview of your equipment. You'll have to wait till your upgrade unless I'm missing something.

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.