Dialer interfaces and MRTG.

I know that is a MRTG issue but

does anybody know how to get MRTG work with dialer interfaces on a Cisco router? Even downloading at the full speed it reports 0% of use. MRTG works fine on Ethernet 0. Where I'm wrong?

TIA

Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

I am not exactly sure but MRTG may be getting the interface "bandwidth" from the device. If so you may be able to fix it with

int dialer1 bandwidth xxx

Of course the ADSL interface has different upstream and downstream and there is only one interface bandwidth that you can set.

This is certainly the case with the x/255 interface rate counters

#sh int d1 Dialer1 is up, line protocol is up (spoofing) Hardware is Unknown Description: Internet address is 8 MTU 1500 bytes, BW 512 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255 30 second input rate 1000 bits/sec, 1 packets/sec 30 second output rate 1000 bits/sec, 1 packets/sec

#sh run int d1 interface Dialer1 description bandwidth 512

#sh run int d1 interface Dialer1 description bandwidth 10 ! < -- Changed to 10

#sh int d1 Dialer1 is up, line protocol is up (spoofing) Hardware is Unknown Description: Internet address is 8 MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, reliability 255/255, txload 76/255, rxload 51/255

30 second input rate 2000 bits/sec, 2 packets/sec 30 second output rate 3000 bits/sec, 2 packets/sec

Hope that helps.

Reply to
Bod43

[in PPPOx context] I monitor with MRTG the Virtual-Access Interface x bounded to the dialer y, instead of dialer y (don't work).
  • sh interfaces dialer y indicate the vi bounded to it

• sh snmp mib ifmib ifindex indicate the OID suffix of this vi

It works well.

Regards,

Reply to
Luc

The 'bandwidth' command is only used for routing metrics.

Reply to
chris

This is not the case as is illustrated in detail in my previous post. It affects the output of the sh int command in the tx load and rx load sections.

It also is used for QoS configuration. I am certain that when configuring priority queuing that the queuing bandwidth configured is referenced to the configured "interface bandwidth"

IIRC the standard interfaces MIB can return a "bandwidth" I guessing here but I suppose that this value will be influenced by the configured "interface bandwidth".

There may be other uses too.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.