Analysing ATM / DSL / Dialer traffic

Hi All,

I have started analysing traffic on a 3640 using mrtg.

The router has a WIC-1ADSL with a PPPoA dialer connecting to the ISP. The ATM (ADSL) has a subint configured.

I have observed, using mrtg (mrtg collects stats on all the interfaces through SNMP) that:

1) int ATM 0/0 reports apparently all the traffic going through the ATM (ADSL) 2) int ATM 0/0.1-aal5 reports the traffic capped to the link uplink speed (in my case 448 Kbit/s). Downlink traffic going over that speed is truncated in the graph. 3) int Dialer10 associated with the above ATM reports a traffic with speeds up to 56Kbit/s with an average of 16Kbit/s and a shape that differs from the graph reported by ATM 0/0 and 0/0.1, having some peaks when there is no activity on the ATM.

My question is:

is the Dialer interface traffic reported, related to the PPPoA protocol synchronization/authentication? Should this be the case, what is reported would represent a significant overhead on the total available bandwidth, is there any way to contain it?

HD

Reply to
haydude
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.