Dial-up Host Router

I have a 3845 that is going to be put into service as a PRI dial up host router. It will need to terminate 56K dialup connections from several locations. However, I'm not sure what I will need to configure this. I was thinking that I would need a VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 or something similar for the T1 interface. From that point on, I am a little lost. Also, I need to make sure that I ordered the right product. I asked for a voice PRI line from the telco. I have seen some mention of digital modem cards, but am not sure how these would work or what additional configuration would be needed. Please help. Thanks.

Reply to
Russianj
Loading thread data ...

That would appear to be a suitable card.

If your external users are using Analogue (POTS) lines then I think you will indeed need digital modems. You will need to figure out how many you need If on the other hand your external users are ISDN then you are done and need no more hardware.

formatting link
you how many modem mudules you need for a particular number of lines.

I cant really help with configuring for dial up with modems.

Reply to
bod43

You need the channelized PRI card and some PVDM2-xxDM DSP cards, so the VWIC2 card won't work, but the HWIC-1CE1T1-PRI would.

formatting link
There was an NM-xxDM card, but its EOS now.

xx all stands for how many modem DSP's you want to pay for (ie. 12, 24 or 36).

The datasheet I point to above gives you basic config setups. All of Cisco's technologies are very simular, so if you find a tech note for an as5350, it should work for their router platform, and vice-versa.

There should be plenty of dialup examples around.

As for the ISDN, you do want voice, as analog modems (on the customer end) talk over a voice bearer circuit back to your PRI. Doing data only would only let you support BRI data bearer dialups from your customer's BRI lines, (telcos go what are those now?? :). You don't have to worry about all the different CAS setup types compared with PRI.

PRI is very easy to setp, you shouldn't have too much difficulty with it, especially if you are just doing dialin. Again, there should be lots of examples out there, including the datasheet I mention above.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Hmmm.

I did look this up and it appears that the card that the OP has suggested does do PRI.

formatting link
"Voice support (includes DS0-group and PRI-group configuration) "

In the "old days" you did need a different card for PRI however it appers that the functionality has been merged. - As far as I can see.

Reply to
bod43

~ On 12 Nov, 00:07, Doug McIntyre wrote: ~ > Russianj writes: ~ > >I have a 3845 that is going to be put into service as a PRI dial up ~ > >host router. It will need to terminate 56K dialup connections from ~ > >several locations. However, I'm not sure what I will need to configure ~ > >this. I was thinking that I would need a VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 or something ~ > >similar for the T1 interface. From that point on, I am a little lost. ~ > >Also, I need to make sure that I ordered the right product. I asked ~ > >for a voice PRI line from the telco. I have seen some mention of ~ > >digital modem cards, but am not sure how these would work or what ~ > >additional configuration would be needed. Please help. Thanks. ~ >

~ > You need the channelized PRI card and some PVDM2-xxDM DSP cards, so ~ > the VWIC2 card won't work, but the HWIC-1CE1T1-PRI would. ~ ~ Hmmm. ~ ~ I did look this up and it appears that the card that the OP ~ has suggested does do PRI. ~ ~

formatting link
"Voice support (includes DS0-group and PRI-group configuration) " ~ ~ In the "old days" you did need a different card for PRI ~ however it appers that the functionality has been ~ merged. - As far as I can see.

The VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1 may well do PRI. However, the question is whether its DS0s can be switched to the PVDM2-DM modem card ... and the answer is no.

The PVDM2-DM data sheet

formatting link
applicable here, and it enumerates the trunk cards with which it can be used:

? NM-1CE1T1-PRI (1-Port Channelized E1/T1/ISDN-PRI Network Module)

? NM-2CE1T1-PRI (2-Port Channelized E1/T1/ISDN-PRI Network Module)

? HWIC-1CE1T1-PRI (1-Port Channelized E1/T1/ISDN-PRI HWIC)

? HWIC-2CE1T1-PRI (2-Port Channelized E1/T1/ISDN-PRI HWIC)

? VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE (2-port Voice Interface Card-BRI (NT and TE))

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.