Router as Dialup access server

Want to replace a few old shiva dialup access servers. I have used cisco routers with ISDN PRI network moudles and along with the digital modem netowrk modules in a 3725 router.

When I was looking at the 2800 series routers, did not see where supported the digital modem modules and someone told me that they have daughter cards that can do that. I see reference to on board DSP card slots.

Do these provide similar funtionality as digial modem cards ? Also can a Multifles T1 card also be used on a ISND PRI circuit and also terminate the voice call ?

What I am wnating to do is have a remote user with a modem on a analog circuit dialup to corp and terminate the call, would wnat digital service on the corp end so can get higher than the 33.6K speeds when avialable. NEed to get those shivas out soon.

Thanks,

Reply to
MC
Loading thread data ...

You need to take a look at

formatting link
Cisco da Gama
formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

~ Want to replace a few old shiva dialup access servers. I have used cisco ~ routers with ISDN PRI network moudles and along with the digital modem ~ netowrk modules in a 3725 router. ~ ~ When I was looking at the 2800 series routers, did not see where ~ supported the digital modem modules and someone told me that they have ~ daughter cards that can do that. I see reference to on board DSP card slots. ~ ~ Do these provide similar funtionality as digial modem cards ? ~ Also can a Multifles T1 card also be used on a ISND PRI circuit and also ~ terminate the voice call ? ~ ~ What I am wnating to do is have a remote user with a modem on a analog ~ circuit dialup to corp and terminate the call, would wnat digital ~ service on the corp end so can get higher than the 33.6K speeds when ~ avialable. NEed to get those shivas out soon. ~ ~ ~ Thanks,

The 2800 series routers do not support digital modems, only analog modems (such as the other poster linked to.) The lowest end Cisco routers that support digital modems, so that you can deliver V.90/V92 connections to your analog modem clients, are the 3725/3825 or AS5350. With the 3725/3825, you would need to use an NM-*CT1* to interface to your PRI, and an NM-*DM module containing the DSPs.

I personally prefer the AS5350 for a digital modem application, as it supports some nice features that the midrange routers don't (Call Tracker, RPM), supports both modem and voip using the same trunks/DSPs, and contains higher performing modems (although to be sure the MICA modems in the NM-*DMs work very well.) I don't know what the disparity pricewise is though.

Regards,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

I really do not have many dialup users these days, many are now on VPN. However still have many remote sales people not on VPN and/or traveling. We do not need amny but do want redundnat boxes and PRI's (no chasssis redundnacy, needs to be seperate hardware)

We were looking at the 3725 routers at one time with teh netowrk modules for one PRI and DM's each but heard that the 2800 or one of the 2800 models could have a duaghter card that supported some voice funtionality and thought maybe would do something similar.

Will research more, maybe go to the 3800 platforms with the netowrk modules.

Thanks,

Reply to
MC

This card doesn't support data calls when configured as ISDN PRI, it will only accept voice calls. Find some old 3600 router with E1 network module.

Kind regards, iLya

Reply to
Charlie Root

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.