PRI and digital modem modules for 2611

Hi,

By adding some modules etc, is there a possibility to use my 2611 as an access server for my dial-up users with the help of a radius server, by connecting the PRI (E1) ISDN (30 channels) from the telecom ?

Regards.

Reply to
Sanal Kisi
Loading thread data ...

IIRC Cisco discontinued the ISDN E1 PRI modules that worked in the 2600 series.

AFAIK the replacement ISDN modules only work in the 26xx-XM models.

see Cisco E1/T1 ISDN PRI Network Module data sheet

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Don't you also need the digital modem NM card? pretty much ruling out doing this on a 26xx anything box which only has the one NM slot?

But can certainly can do on the 28xx on a model that has enough NM slots, or 36xx/38xx boxes.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks for the info.

So it seems that it is impossible with the present 2611. How about an

3825 with a free slot together with any of the 2509, 2511, or 2522 ? Has any of the 25xx series got any slot for one of the required modules ?

If nothing is possible with the current routers, what might be the cheapest solution for this problem ?

Regards.

Reply to
mustafa.cagatayli

I overlooked your digital modem requirement which is a separate network module.

So your will need two slots to accomodate an ISDN E1 PRI module and a digital module

see

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Okay, now you've totally lost me with bringing in the ancient 25xx routers.

What exactly are your requirements?

From what it sounded like in your first post, you wanted a digital modem box. For how many lines? One PRI worth?

I assume something like the AS5350 and whatever the newer model is called is overkill with its 8 PRI ports. They are very nice solutions if you want to get that many ports lit.

You want one PRI of calls coming into digital modems all in one box? I'd get the 3640 on the used market with a channelized PRI card and the digital modem card. Just got to make sure you get one of the newer NM-1CT1-CSU cards or whatever. If you want new, then the 3840.

The 3640 comes with 4 NM slots and nothing else, so you'd probably put in an NM-1FE-2W into one NM slot, the NM-1CT1-CSU in another, the NM-24DM or however modems you really want. Leaving one NM slot free.

Config it like here..

formatting link
What else do you want to do with it?

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

At the moment I have a 2611 with an analog asenchron interface module with 8/16 ports. Users dial in and connect to my LAN with the help of a radius server.

I need a box which would help me connect the PRI E1 line from telecom (30 channels) and allow dial-up users benefit from my LAN.

I also have those old 2109, 2511 and 2522's all disconnected years ago.

I am just trying to figure out the cheapest way to build such a system.

Reply to
mustafa.cagatayli

Do you require 56k connections? Ie. if so, you will need digital modems, and the solution I gave you already will be probably be the cheapest cisco solution.

If you want real cheap, you could buy any number of the failed/dot.com sell out RAS vendor used gear on eBay. I think PM3s are going for a few dollars each. I've got a pile of T1 versions collecting dust, sorry no E1 versions.

Even so, once you get into the PRI, its going to be cheaper/easier than trying to take the DS0 out of a PRI to hook into analog modems to stay all digital, and there are many boxes out on the market that did integrated T1/E1/PRI and digital modems all in one box. Now-a-days, on the new side, there aren't so many.

Yeah, too much trouble, too much specialized gear to use those in any fashion.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.