Configuring management interface on Catalyst 4507

Running IOS 12.2(18)EW3 rev fc1. Followed these instructions:

formatting link
But no go, and I cannot see what I am missing. I did the loopback0, added an IP but cannot ping. Shouldn't I be able to reach the loopback from the switched ports if it is on the right subnet? (it is) The routed interface solution seems easy enough, but I am assuming then I would need to patch that routed interface into a switch port, right? Seems like a waste of ports to me. Probably missing something really stupid, but can't see what it is. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hal

On a Catalyst 4500/4000 Supervisor Engine III/IV running Cisco IOS Software, any routable interface can be used for management. There are three options for configuring this interface.

Note: The Ethernet management port (labeled 10/100 MGT ) on a Supervisor Engine III (WS-X4014) or Supervisor Engine IV (WS-X4515) is used in ROMmon mode only to recover a switch software image that is missing or corrupted. This port is not active while the switch is operating normally, and cannot be used as a management interface.

Option 1 Configure a loopback interface for managing the switch. There are a few advantages to a loopback interface. A loopback is a virtual interface that is always up. Packets routed to the loopback interface are rerouted back to the L3 switch or router and processed locally. IP packets routed out the loopback interface but not destined to the loopback interface are dropped. This means that the loopback interface serves as the Null 0 interface also. The loopback interface serves as the Router ID for OSPF, and so on. Loopback 0 is used for this example.

Switch#conf t Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z. Switch(config)#int loopback 0 Switch(config-if)#ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

!--- The loopback interface should have a 32 bit subnet mask which means the 10.1.1.1 !--- address is the only destination address in this subnet.

Switch(config-if)#end Switch#

You will also need to configure a routing protocol to distribute the subnet assigned to the loopback address or create a static route.

Option 2 Configure the interface as an L3 routed interface with an IP address. All interfaces on a Catalyst 4000 switch running Cisco IOS Software are L2 by default. Therefore, you need to make any interface connected to the rest of the network as an L3 routed interface. This is done by issuing the no switchport command, and configuring the desired IP address as shown in the following example. All interfaces are enabled by default, and therefore issuing the no shutdown command is not necessary. In this example, FastEthernet 5/30 is used.

Switch(config)#interface FastEthernet 5/30 Switch(config-if)#no switchport Switch(config-if)#ip address 11.1.1.1 255.0.0.0

Reply to
hal
Loading thread data ...

Why don't you use switch management config that is described under type 3 in the link you posted? I always use it since it's simple and I can use it in networks in which my clients don't want to add new ip network/host in the routing topology just for switch management purposes, so the switch is basically a new ip host in the existing ip network/subnet. With this type of network management ip int you'll get on simplicity, but of course recommendation is to use separate broadcast domain (for security and availability reasons) for your net management purposes.

B.R. Igor

formatting link

Reply to
Igor Mamuzic

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.