Problem Configuring Access Mode on an Interface on a Catalyst 3500XL

I want to configure several FastEthernet interfaces on a Catalyst

3500XL switch so they will not trunk. I used the following command:

conf t int fa0/1 switchport mode access

It takes the command o.k. but when I do a sh run it does not show that the interface is in access mode. Moreover, when I connect another switch to fa0/1 with at cross-over cable, it trunks.

When I use the same command on a Catalyst 2950 switch, this is what I see when I do a sh run:

interface FastEthernet0/1 switchport mode access

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
tman
Loading thread data ...

You need to turn off Dynamic Trunking Protocol

int fa0/1 switchport mode access switchport nonegotiate

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

I tried it but there is no such command as switchport nonegotiate. The only commands under switchport are: access mode multi priority trunk voice

I tried the following command in interface config mode:

no negotiation auto

It returns the message: This command is not supported for FastEthernet0/1

Reply to
tman

to disable trunking on a 3500XL, try the command

no switchport mode

Reply to
Merv

I already tried that one. It doesn't seem to do anything. I can still plug another switch into the port and it lights up.

Reply to
tman

| On May 9, 2:08 pm, Merv wrote: | > to disable trunking on a 3500XL, try the command | >

| > no switchport mode | | I already tried that one. It doesn't seem to do anything. I can | still plug another switch into the port and it lights up.

According to this:

formatting link
"Cisco 2950 and 3500XL switches do not support DTP and are always in a mode similar to nonegotiate. If you turn trunking on for one of these devices, it will not negotiate with the other end of the link and requires that the other link be configured to on or nonegotiate."

Reply to
Morph

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.