Configuring Cisco 2511

Hi everyone,

Just for the record (and as excuse for silly questions) : I am completely new in configuring routers.

I have following problem : We have a modempool with a cisco 2511 router. This router had an IP-address, but our HQ stole it and used it for an other device. Xe now have to give a new IP-address to it, but I can't use telnet anymore. How can I connect to the device? What commands do I use to change the IP-address?

Is there any simple manual out there I can use to perform some basic configuration on the router?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Nick Name
Loading thread data ...

Without being able to telnet to it, you'll have to dig out the console cable, and hook the console port up to a serial port on your laptop/computer. Run up a term program, 9600 baud, 8N1, and issue the correct commands.

Its probably configured on the Ethernet 0 interface, something like

enable conf term int ethernet 0 ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.0.0 end write mem

would work.

Sure, Cisco has lots of them online..

Here's the basic config manual for a 2511..

formatting link
Note, you don't need a 2511 specific manual for 99.99% of what you need to do, although sometimes starting out, its easier to see commands tailored exactly for your enviornment.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Pull it off on to its own hub, put a PC with a static address in the same subnet, and then telnet to it.

It's already off the network, so just get a private hub and another PC, and just make the telnet connection.

Or, use the console cable, as others have suggested..

Command

telnet (IP address) enter password Router>enable enter enable password Router # Configure terminal interface ethernet 0 ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.0.0 (or whatever mask)

Reply to
Phillip Remaker

Don't forget to open up your interface by doing a 'no shut' after your imput of the IP address. It's amazing how many people I've seen make that mistake!

Reply to
Grand Styolz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.