IP Address Assignment Question

Good Morning Everyone,

I have a basic question regarding configuring a Cisco router. It's an

1841. Internet access is an MPLS T1. Currently we have one static IP address assigned to the internet facing FastEthernet interface and I will be getting another 4 static IPs. I have a firewall behind this router. I will be getting a Bomgar device for remote control functions which will require an IP address and I have a monitoring box which will also need an IP.

Am I correct in assuming that on my 1841 I would just create a static route for each new external IP routing the traffic to the new devices and then assign the actual IP to the end device? Would any of these IPs need to be assigned to the Cisco router?

On a more generic question, how many ip addresses can you assign to one physical interface?

Thanks,

Hugh

Reply to
Metahugh
Loading thread data ...

a.) your static route solution would work (other things being equal of course), though if there are no other L3 devices in the way it you may be able to get away with no extra routes on that WAN router if the subnet ends up directly connected, remember to configure routes appropriately on any routers in between + don't forget firewall rules and routes.

b.) two answers subinterfaces - you can create subinterfaces (can't remember how many, but its lots) and each can have different IP. Remember to configure trunking on the switch facing it and create VLANs as appropriate. Your subinterfaces will also need the correct trunking configs.

e.g. if your switch has VLAN10, VLAN20 and you configure a trunk going to the router interface, the router interface config would be

interface Fa0/0 no ip address interface Fa0/0.10 ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x encapsulation dot1q 10 interface Fa0/0.20 ip address y.y.y.y. y.y.y.y encapsulation dot1q 20 (repeat etc.)

physical > Good Morning Everyone,

Reply to
Johann Lo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.