voip phone setup

i am registered with sipgate, and want to set up a siemens ip phone. i cant find any specific instructions for this phone, but guess there must be certain standard parameters that the phone needs in order to connect to my network/broadband and make calls via sipgate. can anyone point me to any info? TIA.

Reply to
rob
Loading thread data ...

thanks very much for that, sounds straight forward enough. I'll try that out. If the sipgate soft-phone works ok, then is it likely that my router will still need configuring (port forwarding etc) for a hard-phone?

Reply to
Rob Walford

I don't know the device you have, but there are a few basic requirements to setup a phone/ATA for Sipgate.

Firstly, and I know this may sound silly, but ensure your device supports the SIP protocol. Not all VoIP uses SIP and some devices don't support it.

Assuming your device supports SIP, you need to enter the setup options, usually via a web interface or sometimes by using DTMF tones on the phone. You'll have to read the manual to determine how to do this for your device.

Once in the setup, set the SIP port to 5060 and if the option is present the RTP port to 5004. Set the STUN server address to stun.sipgate.net:10000.

Set the device to use a static IP if possible, if not you can use DHCP but it may possibly be a source of problems. On the other hand it may work fine with DHCP enabled (my Sipura does) but some devices like a static IP.

The basic setup above should work for most devices. If it doesn't, you may need to forward ports 5004, 5060 and 10000 to the IP address of your device (this is one reason why a static IP is useful). Also you may need to set the DMZ of your router to the IP address of the device as well.

Hope this helps, let me know. Email me direct if you prefer.

Reply to
Ivor Jones

If you can use X-Lite then a hardware phone or ATA should work, but yes you may need to set up a DMZ or port forwarding. Try it and see, let us know here how you get on. If you want to do any tests, email me.

Reply to
Ivor Jones

I'm not having much luck. Here are the settings the phone is asking for:

Terminal number: Terminal name: Register by terminal name:

SIP routing: Server Gateway Direct Registrar IP address or DNS name: Server IP address or DNS name: Gateway IP address or DNS name: Outbound proxy: Default OBP domain: SIP transport: UDP TCP SIP session timer enabled: SIP session timer value (1800-3600): seconds Registration timer value: seconds SIP realm: SIP user ID: New SIP password: Confirm SIP password: Beep on SIP server error:

Message Waiting IP address or DNS name: Emergency number: Voicemail number: Branding/identity name

Thanks in anticipation.

Reply to
Rob Walford

ok, i have dial tone, but cant dial out or receive. any suggestions?

Reply to
Rob Walford

Hi

So what have you set to what from your list?

It looks as if the phone doesnt support stun. and sipgate doesnt run a sip proxy so you will need to forward port 5060 to the set and the RTP ports as well.

If you could give a clearer idea of you setup ie router, firewall etc. And also what you have set so far, maybe a more concise answer will be possible.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Ian:

Of course they do: sipgate.co.uk Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Ops Forgot the word outbound. Sipgate use Stun for nat traversal FWD and others run Stun as well as offering an outbound proxy these are normaly port 5082 for sets that dont support stun.

Reply to
Ian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.