Configuration register strangeness

Someone has pointed out something strange going on with the configuration register on one particular 2621 router. I normally see this reading 0x2102. I never touch it, except on rare occasions when trying to break into a spare router that I no longer have the password to.

It now says 0x922. I tried resettting it to 0x2102. It now says that it's going to be set to 0x2922 at the next reload.

How can I tell what it should be, and how to get it there?

Thanks!

Reply to
srp336
Loading thread data ...

This is certainly strange. How are you currently connected to the system? Are you on the console or have you connected via telnet/ssh? If it is the latter, try connecting in via the console and see if you can interact as usual with the console. The reason I am suggesting that is because 0x922 indicates a console baud rate of 4800 while the default is 9600 baud. Assuming you use 9600 baud by default, you should have trouble connecting with the console if indeed the 0x922 value reported is what is also in the config register.

The config register is in non-volatile memory and this could be some kind of hardware problem. If you are connecting fine at 9600 baud with the console, then it seems likely that the register is being written correctly but being read back incorrectly. If you find that you actually have to change to 4800 baud to connect to the console then it looks like both reads and writes to (at least the three least significant nibbles of) the register are broken. In either case, you will likey have to contact Cisco to remedy this.

Cisco da Gama

formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

What happens if you try to set it to 0x102 ?

Do you have a backup copy of the current router config ?

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.