Help: Cisco 1801

Hello, I'm quite a newbe on cisco routers and need some help. Our 1801 hung during a setup and now neither the webinterface or any port is available. No ping, no nothing. But using the console I get access.

As far as I understood I can do a factory reset using the config-register: ! configure terminal config-register 0x2102 end write erase reload (without saving) !

or: ! config-register 0x2142 reload (without saving) !

What are the differences? Which one would you recommend?

As far as I understood before getting access to the webinterface again I have to do a basic setup using the IOS command-line interface, correct?

There I have to set up:

- hostname:

- configure enabel and enable secret

- configuring a fastethernet interface

- set up a user with password using privelege level 15

- set up http access?

Would that be it, or is there anything I forgot or misunderstood?

Kind regards, Stephan

Reply to
Stephan Schoenharting
Loading thread data ...

Hi Stephan,

You may wish to investigate:

Reset a Cisco Router to Factory Default Settings

formatting link
Troubleshooting Router Hangs

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese Cisco IOS Software - Compatible Partner Matrix by Technology

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Hi Brad, thank you for your quick response. This is where I got the information from. But I'm not sure, if the factory reset realy configures the router so that I can access it from the default ip address (10.10.10.1) vie the web interface, or if I have to do the configuration myself.

Regards, Stephan

formatting link
wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
Stephan Schoenharting

formatting link
>

Reply to
Nathan Harmon

Hi Nathan, yes this is what I thought, but when it came out of the box it was preconfigured to use the web interface on 10.10.10.1 I guess I have to try it tomorrow.

But if I have to configure it by myself using the console, are the steps I mentioned correct, or do I miss something?

Regards, Stephan

Nathan Harm> When you reset the router, you will most likely be left with a router

Reply to
Stephan Schoenharting

Well, normally you wouldn't mess with the config-register unless you had a problem booting the operating system or forgot the password. :)

You can do:

! erase startup-config reload !

Just tell it 'no' when it asks if you want to save the config before reloading. That will do a factory reload.

You will probably need to set the IP address via the console after it comes back up.

Stephan Schoenhart> But if I have to configure it by myself using the console, are the steps I

Reply to
Nathan Harmon

Hi Nathan, thank you for your help. The problem was, that during saving a new config via web-interface the router crashed. After trying to reboot, no interface did work nor the console. After the next reboot it took ages for the router to come up, but finally the console did work. As I said, I'm a newbe and do not know all the console commands needed for a proper setup. Therefore I would prefer trying the web-interface again. I thought a factory reset might help, as out of the box the web-interface did work. Tomorrow I will know.

Regards, Stephan

Nathan Harm> Well, normally you wouldn't mess with the config-register unless you

Reply to
Stephan Schoenharting

Erasing the startup-config will basically do a factory reset.

Stephan Schoenhart> As I said, I'm a newbe and do not know all the console commands needed for a

Reply to
Nathan Harmon

Hi Nathan, thank you for your help. This was it, all I had to do, was enable one interface, assign the ip address and grant http access.

Now all is up and runn> Erasing the startup-config will basically do a factory reset.

Reply to
Stephan Schoenharting

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.