commnd to chagne gateway

Cisco 1601 I have a [seemingly] simple change to make to several Cisco 1600 devices. Each has a gateway assigned = 10.10.10.254 and I need to change the gateway to 10.10.10.251

Rather than spend $$$ for Qwest to make the changes, and they certainly can do it easily, I have been asked to see if we can make the change. If this is a relatively straightforward command(s), could someone describe the syntax? I have "en" access to the devices, and I have a test device to work with.

Oh, and to change a subnet from 255.255.255.0 to 255.0.0.0 --?--

I'm on my way to Barnes & Noble and to Borders to read and maybe purchase a book or two. I do not intend to make a living with my limited Cisco skills, just need to get past this hurdle.

Reply to
ckhanson
Loading thread data ...

The syntax is:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.10.251

If you have them all talking EIGRP then you only have to make the change in one of them.

Consider this topology:

All internal routers --- (10.0.0.251) / (its default route) --- the default location

---------------------------------- In 10.0.0.251:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

router eigrp 1 network 10.0.0.0 redistribute static

---------------------------------- In other routers:

router eigrp 1 network 10.0.0.0

----------------------------------

The other routers will receive the default route from that router.

BTW .. what is the impact to the business if these changes don't get done properly? Downtime costs $. Is it cheaper and safer to get Qwest in?

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

thanks for the info - and I agree on having Qwest involved - as the downtime costs more than the change. Looking through the books last night was interesting. I'll be working with people later this week that have only known GUI - my guess is we will be scheduling Qwest help by this coming Friday.

But you will get the credit for the testing we're doing. Again thanks!

Chuck

Reply to
ckhanson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.