Cisco 6500 - how to change from router mode to hybrid (switch mode)

We have a Catalyst 6500 that arrived in router mode and we need it in switch mode.

Any suggestions on how to get the SUP to consistently load in Switch or hybrid mode?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
tubagod
Loading thread data ...

W artykule snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net napisa³(a):

On Sup720 by default all interfaces work in router mode. If you'd like to change it,just add switchport to interface configuration.

TP

Reply to
Tomasz Paszkowski

snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net napisa³(a):

That's not what he's asking.

You need to load a catOs image on your sup and an "msfc" image on the msfc daughter card. Call Cisco or your Cisco reseller to get the proper image files, and then Call TAC of browse the Cisco web site to find the appropriate procedures.

Reply to
Francois Labreque

The IOS that is on it does allow you to use it as as switch. IOS on switches can be found in other models like the Cisco 2900 or 3500 and works on these in a similar fashion. I have not used it in this way but I know it is possible.

I had some problems myself when changing from IOS to CatOS on a Sup720. I found that you actually need to format the flash on the SUP to accept the new OS so that it will boot properly. Putting Cat OS on a IOS formatted on-board flash causes the boot loader to not load the CatOS by default especially at power up due to the way CatOS identifies the flash on the SUP and on the MSFC. In IOS mode, these are seen as a single unit. In CatOS the MSFC has a seperate flash built in.

I simply used a Compact flash card formatted by either IOS or CatOS then copied the Cat OS to it and set the boot statement to point to the image on the Compact flash card. Once booted to CatOS, format the Sup flash and copy the image from the card to the Sup flash. Don't forget to change the boot statement to point to the Sup flash. From here you should be able to consistantly boot to CatOS.

Next step is to session 15 into the MSFC set the BOOT statement at the rommon prompt to point the the IOS on the compact flash and reset. Once you are booted format its flash, copy the IOS and set the boot statement.

Presto!

The biggest things to remember here is use external flash and format the on-board flash. I used the external flash to avoid possible problems and did not want to have to load the OS over the Console port!

If you are not comfortable with dealing with rommon or are having further problems, try contacting Cisco they can help. Cisco's web site does have some Sup720 upgrade info on it:

formatting link

Reply to
pacratt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.